Why Being Single is OK

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Have you ever thought about how many people there are in the world who aren’t in relationships, engaged, or even married? I’m sure the number is much larger than one would ever expect it to be. There are also people who think that being single is something that is undesirable and there is something wrong with you if you are. Well, I’m here to tell you that being single is ok and I have a couple reasons why.

The first reason is by being single, you don’t feel tied down. You are able to be independent and do what you want to do with your life. You don’t have someone in the way of your plans but even better than that, you don’t have to try to split time between your friends and your significant other. You feel free to do things you wouldn’t be able to do if you were dating someone and it’s one of the best feelings to have.

The second reason is that it shows that you have standards. You aren’t the type of person to settle for a relationship; you have a picture in your head of what you want in a significant other. Whether it be someone who is always challenging themselves or someone who loves music as much as you do, someone that fits exactly what you are looking for is out there, and you know that.

My third reason is you can find out who you are as a person. When you are in a relationship it’s hard to differentiate who you are when you are alone and when you are with your significant other. This is because you pretty much mold into the same person and you feel as if you are only whole when you are with that person. Being single gives you time to reflect on who you are when you are alone and shows that you are much stronger than you may think. You are able to find out your likes, dislikes, and passions in life. This way when you do find someone you know exactly who you are and you won’t let them change you.

Lastly, you have more time to work on friendships that mean something to you. I think my favorite part about being single is that I don’t have to worry about not having time to spend with my friends. It might be hard to see them all the time, but when I’m not busy I always make time to see and catch up with them on my life as well as theirs. You never have to worry about making your friends feel insignificant and you can show them how much they mean to you.

Now I’m not saying that you have to be single forever because being in a relationship is definitely fun . . . but it’s not everything. Go have fun and live your life while you can because finding yourself and being happy are the things that matter most right now.

Meet our writer Alyson Rhoades! Originally from Golden Valley, MN and a graduate of Armstrong High School, Alyson is majoing in Mass Communication Advertising. You can usually catch Alyson belting out songs in her car or getting her coffee fix at Caribou Coffee. She is an avid photographer and believes that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Every year she does the walk for Alzheimers hoping one day to find a cure for an awful disease. She loves to travel and hopes to one day to travel to countries outside of the U.S. Her ideal place to go on vacation is the beach in Florida, which she gets to do every year during Thanksgiving break. Alyson hopes to continue to work hard to be the change she wishes to see in the world as she pursues a career as a Creative Director within the advertising world.
This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.