Walk of Silence to End Violence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Gender-based violence has been a major concern for college campuses and people nationwide for the past few years. It is an issue where everyone must come together to put an end to it. The term gender-based violence encompasses sexual assault, domestic violence, harassment and stalking against any person.

WSU Sorority Phi Theta Chi are making moves to bring awareness about sexual violence to campus through an event called “Walk of Silence to End Violence.” The event will take place on April 23rd at 3 p.m. beginning at Windom Park in Winona, MN. Contributing organizations include Greek Life, KEAP, Full Spectrum, AdFed, Student Senate, Her Campus, REInitiative, Students United, FORGE, Women of Color Association and WGSS Students.

You are highly encouraged to take part in this event to help bring awareness to National Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). This year, the SAAM campaign will focus on engaging voices. Many groups know about sexual assault and believe it is a problem, but they don’t know how they can help. Phi Theta Chi will be joining these voices along with other organizations on campus pledging their support. They will also be collecting donations for the Women’s Resource Center in Winona as a part of the event.

Don’t hesitate; join the movement. #SAAM

Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.