This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

One of the biggest things everyone must know about Prom is it’s one of the most over-exaggerated events. My college campus ministry, Chi Alpha, is holding a “Last Chance Prom” night for anyone who missed out on Prom in high school. Don’t get me wrong – I wouldn’t suggest skipping Prom, and I am not suggesting someone should go to Prom because it would be “the best night” of your life, but I do genuinely think students should go to Prom for the experience. It is not every school dance you get to go in the fanciest and most expensive dress with a cute boy or your friend group. Prom night is the night where parents insist on taking a ton of pictures so a kid won’t ever forget their experience.

I think Prom was fantastic for me because I had no expectations going into the event. I didn’t have any idea what Prom would be like besides fancy dresses, friends, and dancing all night. I spent Prom night going back and forth between my friend groups, dancing and hanging out. I hung out with a new group after too, and it was overall a good night for me.

Most college students today have already gone to Prom, and maybe others are still going to another event soon that is like Prom. Share these tips with your friends that are still in high school, or even your younger siblings!

1.     Don’t spend too much money!

Prom dresses are outrageously expensive. You can find a cheaper option for a dress that is just as beautiful. Find deals or buy from an alumni who has already gone to Prom and is selling their dress. Remember this is a dress you will most likely only wear once! Check out a consignment shop! This saved money can go toward extra expenses such as photographers, corsages, or any special cosmetic appointment before the event. Weigh out all your options!

2.     Don’t wear heels.

It’s completely understandable to feel the need to wear the cutest shoes for Prom, or even Prom pictures. I would highly recommend only wearing heels for Prom pictures. Wearing heels at Prom while dancing is a pain in the butt. There might be a funky dance move you want to do, but because of the heels, you won’t be able to. Don’t be scared to take off your heels and put on a different pair of shoes. Some people at my high school even danced at Prom barefoot.

3.     Don’t get your nails done the day of prom!

I had a friend group who got manicures and pedicures the morning of Prom. While it would be nice to have fresh paint on your fingers or toes, it’s more important to think about how much time you will have on Prom day. Get your nails done the day before or any time earlier. Time on the day of Prom should be spent on hair and make-up. My best friend did a fantastic job on my hair, but it took about two hours for it to be perfect, and we missed group pictures.

4.     Photographers.

Photographers are so important on Prom day! Yes, your parents can take pictures on their phones, and you could probably even do your own photoshoot with the self-timer on your phone, but hiring a photographer for Prom is something you won’t forget. I love taking pictures so I used my own camera, but my mom took most pictures of my friends and me. Unfortunately, hiring photographers today is beyond expensive. The bigger the group is, the cheaper it is supposed to be. My group of friends all paid about $5 each for their group shots, and I think that’s way cheaper than what it could’ve been.

5.     Dinner.

Every Prom is different. My high school Prom served the students dinner, and the food was good. Some groups, however, would rather eat out before arriving to Prom. I ate a lot of food. Don’t do what I did. You don’t want to feel like a bloated fish in your Prom dress dancing with your peers. In addition to that, this goes without saying, don’t spill on your clothes! It would be so sad after spending money on buying a dress, or spending money to hem it, to get it dirty the day of Prom.

6.     Make-up.

I felt so stressed thinking I had to achieve the perfect look for Prom. Usually I am fine with the way I put on makeup, but for Prom it had to be perfect. I trust my mom and older sister when it comes to make-up. Some people aren’t good with make-up and like others putting it on for them. MAC schedules make-up appointments, also, if you want a professional. My eyelashes are thick, so I never considered putting on fake eyelashes, but for a stronger look, I’d say fake eyelashes could really make everything pop.

7.     Vehicles.

Limos are so extra. Like I said before, try not to spend so much money. There is extra luxury, yes, but you could also have just as much fun as any other person in a regular car for transportation. Plus you get the aux as your date drives.

8.     Have fun!

Prom caused so much stress between my friends and me. Don’t think about all the little details because after all, it is one dance on one night. Prom night will not be the peak in your life, so just relax and have fun!

Natalie Elle Tyler is a senior at Winona State majoring in Creative Digital Media. She is minoring in Dance, Creative Writing, and Journalism. Natalie manages her own photography business. When she isn’t writing, she’s either doing a photoshoot, hanging out with friends, or dancing. Her ultimate dream is to make book covers through her photography while having the time to be a freelance travel photographer or photojournalist.
Hi I'm Emily and I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin! I'm a Mass Communication- Advertising student, with a minor in Art History at WSU. I like concerts, hockey, cooking, and dancing in the car. I also enjoy guacamole, french fries, and caramel iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts. All I really want to do is travel the world, move to a big city, and spend my weekends on a lake. IG & Twitter @esheptoski