An Open Letter to My Best Friend Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Dear World Traveler,

You’ve been gone for a month and a half, and it’s weird not having someone here who’s been with me for all of college; for the first time in two-and-a-half years, we are not experiencing everything together. While I’m sad you’re not here, I am so excited for you. I’m excited that you’re on the trip of a lifetime, experiencing new things and living in a different culture. While we joke that you left us and tease that we’re mad that you did, I can’t be mad because I know that this is your dream. You are a nomad who does not like to stay in one place. You are independent and were born to see the world.

In spite of how happy I am for you, I am also extremely jealous. I am jealous that you are braver and more independent than I am. I am jealous that you are almost fluent in another language. I could not immerse myself in another culture or language for 5 months or be separated from my family and friends for that long. While I consider myself to be independent, travelling to a foreign country would be a big leap for me. I wish I could be as fearless as you. You saw the opportunity to travel, and you went for it without letting anything hold you back. As one of your best friends, I am so proud of you.

I cannot wait for you to come home so I can hear all about your adventures and the people you met. I want to hear about the architecture you walked through, the art you saw, and the food you ate. I hope you come back ready for the next adventure in the game that we call life.

Love,

Emily

Hi I'm Emily and I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin! I'm a Mass Communication- Advertising student, with a minor in Art History at WSU. I like concerts, hockey, cooking, and dancing in the car. I also enjoy guacamole, french fries, and caramel iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts. All I really want to do is travel the world, move to a big city, and spend my weekends on a lake. IG & Twitter @esheptoski
Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.