This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Lemonade: a sweet and sour summery drink that can be made in many different ways. May 7th is National Lemonade Day and this article is all about different recipes to make your typical lemonade more exciting!

Mermaid Lemonade

This recipe comes from The Glowing Fridge. Not only is this lemonade very colorful, but it is also very refreshing, energizing, and perfect for the summer months!

Ingredients

3 cups water

1/2 lemon, juiced

1 tablespoon coconut vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)

1-2 teaspoons maple syrup or agave nectar (optional)

1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon spirulina powder (this adds the teal color & gives you a dose of well-needed energy)

A handful of ice cubes

Directions

–       Pour the water into a mason jar and stir in all ingredients until everything is well-blended. Enjoy!

Sparkling Pineapple Lemonade

This recipe comes from Create Craft Love, and again is a very simple and delicious recipe to make that everyone will enjoy.

Ingredients

1 quart lemonade

1 quart pineapple juice

1/2 quart sparkling white grape juice

Ice

Directions

–       In a pitcher, mix the lemonade and pineapple juice. Stir until it’s well-blended.

–       Add the half quart of sparkling white grape juice and add some ice.

–       Garnish the glasses with a sliced lemon and they’re ready to serve!

Fresh-Squeezed Lemonade

Here is a recipe for those who enjoy regular lemonade without all the extra add-ins and flavors. This classic lemonade takes minutes to make and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser at any summer get-together!

Ingredients

8 lemons

1 1/3 cups sugar

1 cup water

Directions

–       Squeeze the juice from the lemons. You want about ½ cup of lemon juice total. Set the      lemon juice aside for later.

–       To a pot, add 1 1/3 cups of sugar and 1 cup of water. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture becomes a simple syrup. Set aside.

–       In a large pitcher, add the lemon juice and 8 cups of water. Once the simple syrup mixture has cooled add that in as well. Stir until everything is well-blended.

Summer isn’t complete without some lemonade. Try out these recipes as well as the thousands more that are on Pinterest (link to HC pinterest). Below I have included the links to the three websites where I found these recipes if you want to see what the lemonade is supposed to look like, or just want to explore what else these blogs have to offer! Happy sipping!

Mermaid Lemonade: http://www.theglowingfridge.com/mermaid-lemonade/#_a5y_p=6229431

Sparkling Pineapple Lemonade: http://www.createcraftlove.com/sparkling-pineapple-lemonade/

Fresh squeezed lemonade: http://myfrugaladventures.com/2013/05/perfect-homemade-lemonade-recipe/

I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.
This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.