My Recipe for a Perfect Christmas Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Every family has their own way to celebrate Christmas, but here is my modified recipe for a perfect holiday full of memories and merriment.

Ingredients:

• A heaping serving of love from family
  • A teaspoon of minutes with dog wearing jingle bells collar
  • A dash of Christmas Day parade
  • 3+ hours of Love Actually and A Christmas Story
  • 12 cinnamon rolls in the oven
  • One large, decked out Christmas tree
  • Heaps of presents
  • Dollar bets on football games
  • A feast fit for royalty (courtesy of grandpa)
  • One hidden Christmas pickle
  • A second heap of presents
  • ​A sprinkling of Christmas carols

What to Do Next:

1. Begin the day with a wake-up call of 7am, no alarm clock necessary. Experienced chefs will know to rouse sister last.
  2. Watch dog bound through snow and listen to her jingle bell collar brings merriment to the crisp, winter air.
  3. Turn on the Christmas Day parade while opening stockings and waiting for parents to get out of bed. For an alternative ingredient, switch to first of many viewings of Home Alone or Love Actually.
  4. As parents rise slowly but surely, so will the cinnamon rolls that fills the house with sugary glee and provide fuel for PRESENTS! This year we’ll all be donning matching PJs like Zoe and me. 
  5. Inevitably, the dog collar with become jingle hell instead of jingle bells, so that comes off right as breakfast is ready. As individual recipe variations develop, a Santa outfit will suffice for festive dog apparel.
  6. Carry breakfast upstairs to eat in front of massive, decorated tree.
  7. Open presents, starting with the youngest and going to oldest (Dad is now the big 5-0).
  8. As the cinnamon roll sugar high wears off, begin prep to go to grandparent’s house and enjoy a holiday feast.
  9. While enjoying scrumptious scents from kitchen, entertain extended family with wild card football picks. Continue viewing of holiday movies during halftimes.
  10. After first football game of the day, the hunt for the Christmas pickle leads into presents from grandparents.
  11. Dinner is served just past 5, and a blessed bounty of food, family and festivities is shared among many.
  12. After dinner and dessert to relieve some of the fullness from the feast, join in carols.
  13. At the end of the evening, say goodbye to all family, cart all presents to the car (along with plentiful leftovers) and smile about another successful Christmas.  

Instructions for Enjoying:

If the recipe is followed correctly, Christmas will be just as wonderful as it always is. But with any great holiday, there’s no wrong way to celebrate. Have a very, merry holiday season and let me know what kind of recipe you replicate in your celebrations!

My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!
I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.