Meet Mariah Mrotek and Gabby Ingebrand: Your 2016-2017 Campus Correspondents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Meet Mariah Mrotek and Gabby Ingebrand, Winona State Her Campus’ Co-Campus Correspondents for the 2016-2017 school year!

Name: Mariah

Year: Senior

Major: Mass Communication Advertising

Minor: English Applied & Professional Writing

Hometown: Racine, MN

Name: Gabby

Year: Junior

Major: Mass Communication Advertising

Minor: Communication Studies

Hometown: Mahtomedi, MN

Her Campus (HC): How did you pick your major and what is your favorite part of your major?

Mariah Mrotek (MM): I came to WSU with sights set on pursuing Photojournalism. They did not have a major called “Photojournalism” so I was lumped into “Photography and Digital Imaging.” As much as I adored photography and creating stories, the major didn’t speak to me so I kept my options open. During my freshman year, I visited AdFed (Advertising Federation) because Miranda Soukup had encouraged me to. She was my orientation leader at the time and I knew she had my best interest at heart. AdFed was a club that gave me a whole new perspective on design, networking and building your personal image while creating that image for others. I joined that year and haven’t let it go since. Advertising captured my heart.

Gabby Ingebrand (GI): I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to go to school for, but one day my older sister, Hannah, told me that I would probably like advertising. I didn’t even second guess it; I went with her advice and I can never thank her enough. I love my major. I am so lucky to be studying something that is always changing. There is never a dull moment. It pushes me to my limits everyday and I can look around and be inspired constantly by my amazing peers and professors.

HC: How did each of you get involved with Her Campus?

MM: Maybe Miranda Soukup is some miracle worker or something because she definitely got me involved in HC as well. Miranda brought the Her Campus Winona Chapter to life and invited all the committed writers she knew to join and fuel the fire under HC Winona. It sure worked! As soon as she told me what she was creating, I told her to put me on the list and let me know when HC Winona arrived! Now I’m proud to say I’ve been a dedicated writer, Treasurer and Campus Correspondent to our Thriving Chapter.

GI: I was at the very first HC meeting as a freshman. I found out about HC from my sister and her roommate. They told me it was a club where I could write about fashion, which sounded right up my alley. I showed up and I was very intimidated. Everyone in the room knew each other and they were all either juniors or seniors. Once the room got talking I knew these were the people I wanted to surround myself with. Inspiring, creative and fun-loving doesn’t even do justice when describing these people. I was hooked. I looked forward to every meeting and started to build my resume. I became the secretary and now the HC president.

HC: What is your favorite part of Her Campus?

MM: Like I tell everyone who asks me if they would like it… the atmosphere changes immediately once you enter the room. The room we meet in is also used as a classroom, but when HC Winona is in there, the mood completely changes. Our writers are so friendly and encouraging of one another. It is a space of enjoyment, commitment and safety. I love seeing all the smiles on their faces as we work collectively to give back to our audience. HC is more than just a club on campus; these girls are family.

GI: This is a very hard question. I have been involved with HC since the very beginning of my college career. I don’t know anything else. It is a safe place for a group of writers to come and express themselves. I will say my favorite part now as the president is watching members get excited to write. Watching them feel proud about their pieces. It makes me extremely happy to see others enjoying themselves and interacting with people they met through this awesome club.

HC: What are some of the other clubs/ extracurriculars are you involved with?

MM: Along with being a Campus Correspondent at HC with Gabby, I also lead AdFed (Advertising Federation) as the President, work as the Lead Web Communications Assistant and Social Media Content Manager in the Marketing and Communications department and I do some freelance work on the side as a social media and website marketer for my dad’s two businesses back home. I was also a Public Affairs Intern at Mayo Clinic Rochester over the summer which provided me with the opportunity to expand my reach and become a more well-founded communicator. Through my work in the Marketing and Communications department, I have learned so much about website development, social media marketing and campaign development. I also was able to develop and launch Winona State University’s very own Snapchat! It is so incredibly exciting to see your work in action, but more exciting seeing the reaction of students. Every day I go to work I curate messages for all social media accounts at Winona State in order to provide WSU its social media voice and give back to students, faculty and the community in an interactive way. It is quite the fulfilling position! Let me just say, I never thought I would be this involved freshman year, but the tables sure did turn and I’m so glad they did.

GI: I am the communications specialist for AdFed, the president of Dream Closet and the social media chair for my sorority, Sigma Sigma Sigma. I have a job on campus at the Campus Card office and I have two jobs back home, one as a men’s stylists at a store called John Henry and another as a server at a golf course. Each position I have is very different, but I think that helps make me into who I am. I am very busy, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Being able to do the work that I do provides me with great connections and opportunities that I never thought I would have.

HC: You both are crazy busy- how do you do it all? Any suggestions for us?

MM: There are days where I wish I could not respond to the 100+ messages and emails I receive in a day, delete all 30 tabs on my internet browser and collectively just hide from the world, but if there is one thing I have learned through it all… you are powerful and success comes with work. Nothing is ever just handed to you in life. I find so much joy in working for all that I hope to receive. Opening up to new ideas only allows for you to expand your knowledge and meet new faces. I’m the most introverted extrovert you will ever meet. I love being around groups and I love being alone. Learning to put myself out there definitely took some serious courage as it is not easy to do (shout out to all my fellow introverts!). The first step to success is empowering the leader within yourself.

GI: I am very busy, and sometimes I look at my schedule and freak out a bit, but the thing is that without all of this I would be extremely bored. I think it is really important to say yes. Saying yes to all sorts of projects and activities makes you grow in ways you never thought you would. You will help yourself figure out what you like doing and what you don’t like doing. I also think it is very important to continue to be yourself no matter what you are doing. Throw your own flare on things because at the end of the day you should be doing all of this for yourself. Keep a calendar. Smile often. Take deep breaths.

HC: Any last advice about anything for us?

MM: Find that one thing that compels you to get up at 6 a.m. and give it your all. Though I’m in Advertising, I found my heart is in Social Media Marketing. Opportunities truly await you. Expand your horizons and your heart will thank you later. <3

GI: Always try to surround yourself with people who inspire you. It will help you grow and stay sane. Always remember that your story is unique and so much different than everyone else’s so you’re just wasting your time if you try to compete or compare. My favorite quote right now is “No one is you, that is your power.” I love this. I live to this and you should too.

Well, there you go: two people who are passionate in everything they do and love every minute of it. I think all of us at HC Winona can say that Mariah and Gabby have each been incredibly supportive of us in our roles as writers; thank you for encouraging us to write, try new things, and help others in this amazing club. We are all excited to see what is in store for the rest of the year for HC Winona and where life will take you. :)

Meet Linsey Taylor, one of the campus correspondents for the Winona State Her Campus chapter. Linsey is a senior majoring in Therapeutic Recreation with a minor in psychology and hopes to become a child life specialist with her degree. In her free time, Linsey enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and hanging out with friends and family.
This is Gabriella Ingebrand: Junior at Winona State University majoring in Advertisement. She is a master when it comes to wasting time on Pinterest and making a mess while baking in the kitchen. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Winona, President of Dream Closet Winona, Communication Specialist for AdFed, and Social Media Chair for her sorority. All in all, Gabriella is a free spirit always trying to have a good time.