Lori Elsenpeter: NSCS President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

There are so many clubs on campus, and quite a few are national clubs (like Her Campus!). One of those clubs is NSCS, the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. Lori Elsenpeter is the current president of the NSCS Winona Chapter.

Her Campus (HC): Tell us a little about yourself. What’s your major?

Lori Elsenpeter (LE): I grew up on my family’s farm near the small town of Maple Lake, MN. Living on a farm along with many other factors got me interested in the medical field and eventually Physical Therapy. I study Movement Science here at Winona State University and plan to graduate with a degree in Movement Science and a Psychology Minor in May 2018.

HC: What do you want to do after graduation?

LE: After graduation, I plan to go to graduate school for Physical Therapy. As of right now I’m in the dreaded time of waiting for an acceptance letter. After graduate school I would love to work in the Physical Therapy Department of a Veterans Affairs Hospital.

HC: You’re the NSCS President. What made you want to try for that position?

LE: I’m going to be honest – I never thought about becoming the president of NSCS. When I joined NSCS freshman year, I wanted to get involved and without thinking I applied for an open officer position (VP of Points). Two years later, our president at the time was getting ready to go on her internship before graduation and the president’s position became open. At this point I was still not really thinking of applying for it, but after a lot of encouragement from not only my fellow officer team but also from NSCS members, I decided to give it a shot.

HC: What’s your favorite part about NSCS?

LE: My favorite part of NSCS is the amount of time our members put into the Winona Community. I am a really community-oriented person and giving back helps enrich not only the community around us but also ourselves. Our members volunteer in Winona area schools, nursing homes, and the humane society and make a great impact.

HC: What’s one thing you’d like people to know about NSCS?

LE: NSCS is whatever you make of it. You can decide what you’re interested in and we can help you find a volunteer opportunity. Because of Winona State University having a lot of Education majors, we do a great deal of opportunities with the youth in the Winona community. We also have opportunities to volunteer at blood drives and in nursing homes for our medical field members. Besides these opportunities, we try and have everything in between so everyone can find their passion. NSCS is full of great people just trying to make the world a better place and I love that.

Lori has been doing a great job as the new president, and we wish her the best as she finishes up her senior year and heads off to graduate school!

Cassie is a senior from Eagle, WI. She is pursuing a major in English with a writing emphasis and minoring in Applied and Professional Writing and Psychology. She hopes to one day work for an editing or publishing company and write books on the side. There are few things she loves more than Disney and Bernie Sanders, except maybe animals.
Hi I'm Emily and I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin! I'm a Mass Communication- Advertising student, with a minor in Art History at WSU. I like concerts, hockey, cooking, and dancing in the car. I also enjoy guacamole, french fries, and caramel iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts. All I really want to do is travel the world, move to a big city, and spend my weekends on a lake. IG & Twitter @esheptoski