International Dance Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Sunday, April 29th is International Dance Day! This day is to celebrate the art of dance, and everyone can be a part of it! International Dance Day was created by International Theatre Institute (ITI). Dance is a great way to be active or perform; it’s my favorite thing to do, and I don’t know where I’d be without it.

There are multiple definitions of dance. Dance can be defined as a fine art or as a form of moving lively or in a rhythmic kind of way. There are various styles of dance too, such as jazz, hip-hop, contemporary, cultural, ballet, ballroom, and more. Today many young kids go into dance studios where they can enter competitions or perform with companies in recitals. Dance is ubiquitous. It can be on the media, live through performances and theatre, and taught in classes. This article is to appreciate these various styles of dance.

Hip-Hop

From So You Think You Can Dance

Ballet

From The Red Shoes

Lyrical

From Dance Moms

Ganking

From Brian Friedman Choreography

Contemporary

From Dancing with the Stars

Jazz Funk

From Blake Mcgrath Choreography

Musical Theatre

From The Greatest Showman

Tap

From La La Land (Begins at 1:17)

Modern

From Before

Dance is truly an art. People don’t consider it a sport, but dancers take the time to constantly practice, stretch, and rehearse. Hours go into it and injuries happen easily, just like any other sport. I have friends who tell me all the time how much they wish they could move their bodies the same way popular dancers do, but their bodies “physically can’t.” Watch a couple of dances Sunday and appreciate human bodies creating art!

Only image is from Natalie Tyler Photography

https://www.international-dance-day.org/celebratingdanceday.html

https://www.dance-teacher.com/brian-friedman-2392312325.html

Natalie Elle Tyler is a senior at Winona State majoring in Creative Digital Media. She is minoring in Dance, Creative Writing, and Journalism. Natalie manages her own photography business. When she isn’t writing, she’s either doing a photoshoot, hanging out with friends, or dancing. Her ultimate dream is to make book covers through her photography while having the time to be a freelance travel photographer or photojournalist.
Hi I'm Emily and I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin! I'm a Mass Communication- Advertising student, with a minor in Art History at WSU. I like concerts, hockey, cooking, and dancing in the car. I also enjoy guacamole, french fries, and caramel iced coffees from Dunkin' Donuts. All I really want to do is travel the world, move to a big city, and spend my weekends on a lake. IG & Twitter @esheptoski