This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Dear Little Brother,

I didn’t know how much I would miss you when I left for college. I know it must be lonely to be the only kid left in the house; I don’t envy you for being the youngest. It seems like we just started to get close right before I moved away. We didn’t always hang out at home, but I knew you were just across the hall. It was nice to know someone was there.

You put up with a lot as the youngest to three older sisters. You’ve been dragged to many dance competitions, choir concerts, and soccer games, but you didn’t often complain. You are such a rockstar brother for that. From all the hours we spent at the mall to the times we put your hair in pony tails and made you play dress-up games with us, you were a true champ (are you sure you still miss us?).

After all you did so we could do what we wanted, you’re the one who had to watch us all leave. We can’t be there for you when you move up to the next belt in karate or to give you a big hug when you ace an exam, but you were there to do all those types of things for us. But, little buddy, please know that we really want to be there for your accomplishments. It breaks my heart to be away.

Picture Credit

As I’m getting older and meeting more people, I’m realizing just how wonderful you are. You’re growing into such a nice, mature, insightful young man. I see you working hard and caring about things. I love that you do what you want and dress however you want to. You don’t care what other people think about it.

I didn’t understand how you could do that, but little bro, I have learned the strong virtue of being your true self from you. You are merely 16, but wise beyond your years.

I love how you would tolerate my singing in the car on the way to school and my barging into your room, requesting you dance to my blasting music. You know when I’m sad, stressed, or angry, and you always want to be able to fix it. How lucky am I to have a little brother who cares.

When I think of you, I think of video games on Saturday mornings. I think of witty comebacks. I think of your love for candy and potato chips. I think of how generous you are. I think of your intelligence and wisdom. But mostly I think of your contagious laugh: how warm and genuine it is. Your laughter radiates pure happiness.

I don’t like that I can’t be there to protect you. I wish I could be there for you the way I could before. I can’t distract you from stress. I can’t take your mind off severe storms. I can’t talk to mean attendance ladies who simply don’t understand what it’s like to be a 15-year-old boy.  I can’t be there to show the people who don’t appreciate all that you are what they’re missing out on. I can’t be there physically, but I will always be there for you at heart.

P.S. Your sisters are looking forward to you supporting us financially when you get your big, successful, smart adult job. So keep studying. We know we can always count on you! ;)

Alexa Jo is a senior at Winona State studying Psychology and Communication Studies. She enjoys learning new skills, getting outside, upcycling clothes, and hanging out with the people she loves. She likes to write stories that are real, raw, and have just a touch of humor. She writes because she believes she has a lot to say, and wants to talk about the things others are scared to talk about. She uses her writing to share her experiences and uplift others. She hopes to one day work for a non profit in campaigns for social change.
I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.