This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Because of the overwhelming amount of pesticides, wildfires, and loss of habitat, bumblebees are having a tough time pollinating and have been on the Endangered Species list since October 1, 2016. Seven species of yellow-faced bees that are native to Hawaii and rusty-patched bees that are normally found in the Midwest are now part of this list. Bumblebees are a vital part of the environment, but many people think that they’re pests and really have no reason to live. Just to make it clear, bumblebees are black and yellow fluff balls that do not sting, while wasps on the other hand are jerks and will attack whenever they please.

Bumblebees are a crucial part to our environment because they are the earth’s primary pollinators; without them plants, flowers, and certain fruits and vegetables can’t grow, which in the long run will have a negative effect on human life. According to bee expert Eric Nisbet, if bees were to disappear, we [humans] would disappear within a decade afterward. Now I doubt we will die off a decade after the loss of bees, but we would definitely feel the effects it would have on us. We need bees, no matter how useless some people may think they are, because they are a key factor in our everyday life.

Spring is right around the corner and this is normally the time when we would be seeing vast numbers of bees, but with their numbers declining how are we supposed to help these animals? Well, for starters we can be mindful of the products we buy. Many places now sell produce and other items that have been genetically modified. Genetically-modified organisms (GMOs) are plants, animals or other organisms whose genetic makeup has been modified using recombinant DNA methods. So basically this “science” creates combinations of plant, animal, bacterial and viral genes that would not naturally occur in nature. This can have a negative effect on bees because the chemicals used to modify the plants can then modify the bee that pollinates them.

Another thing that we can do that will have a greater impact on the bee population is plant flowers and other plants that attract bees. Bees live on pollen and nectar, so planting flowers and herbs like lavender, hollyhocks, sunflowers, and poppies will help increase the bumblebee populations. When planting these flowers be sure to avoid using pesticides. Here is a list of just some of the flowers that are good for bees.

Bees are harmless creatures and they are responsible for many of the plants, fruits and vegetables that we have today. When planting flowers around your house or at a park, be aware of what you plant and whether it could help bees or not.

I love exploring the outdoors, writing, whales, and have a major sweet tooth for cheesecake! Volleyball and hockey are my favorite sports to play and watch. When it comes to writing, I love it. I truly enjoy being able to write articles and stories about topics people would enjoy reading.
Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.