5 Drugstore Makeup Dupes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Makeup brands are a “nant”: a want and a need in one. High-end brands like MAC, NARS, Urban Decay and Too Faced provide excellent products at prices that would make any college student run the other direction. Finding that product that matches those name brands but doesn’t break the bank is truly a research project in and of itself, but here I have provided you my top five picks that will help you look and feel your best while also saving you money.

1.     Too Faced Soleil Matte Bronzer VS Rimmel Natural Bronzer

First of all, a special thanks to HC for allowing us to fall in love with this bronzer last semester in our survival kits. Rimmel Natural Bronzer not only provides a smooth, sun-kissed finish, but it also has some gold shimmer that has truly lasted me to the very end (that is hard to come by). Give the Rimmel Natural Bronzer a try and you will surely be glowing.

2. Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz VS NYX Micro Brow Pencil

Can we please talk about this blessing right here? The NYX Micro Brow pencil is not only available in many shades and conveniently cheaper than Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz, but it is also one of the closest dupes in this series. You can find this hidden gem of a brand, NYX, in almost any drugstore with a huge selection of products for any need. NYX is a great brand to fall in love with and the micro brow pencil is quite the game changer.

3.     Kylie Cosmetics Lip kits VS L’Oreal® Paris Infallible Pro-Matte Gloss & Rimmel Provocalips

Oh yes, the Kylie lip kit dupes. Though I will admit I have a few lip kits myself and they are quite wonderful, they are definitely a purchase I wouldn’t want to make regularly. Both L’Oreal® Paris Infallible Pro-Matte Gloss & Rimmel Provocalips provide two different formulas with similar results to that of Kylie. L’Oreal® provides a very smooth application and defined finish, while Rimmel’s Provocalips provides a two-step process of color and clear gloss to help seal in the color. Both brands provide a similar experience to the Kylie lip kit, so give them a try and save some money!  

4. Urban Decay Naked3 Palette VS Maybelline The Blushed Nudes Palette

I own the Urban Decay smoky palette myself, but I have tried the Maybelline palette and been blown away by the similarities. It is truly all about how pigmented the colors are when selecting an eyeshadow palette. No one wants to put in the extra effort just to put some makeup on their eyes. The Maybelline palette provides a collection of beautiful nude shades that are sure to win over your finished makeup look and wallet!

5.     NARS blush and bronzer VS ELF blush and bronzer

ELF is a brand that I didn’t have as much faith in since it is very inexpensive, but I have tried quite the variety of ELF products and not once been disappointed. The ELF blush and bronzer really replicate the NARS blush and bronzer through texture and design. Though NARS provides a richer color choice, the ELF blush and bronzer provide a lighter selection, which I prefer. Save some money and experiment with some ELF products, because they are truly amazing for anyone on a budget.

Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.