2017 Disney Movie Line-Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Disney never disappoints, and 2017 will be no exception. Start saving now because there are lots of movies you’ll want to see.

1. Beauty and the Beast – March 17, 2017 Beauty and the Beast is a Disney classic, but this time around it will be a bit different. Don’t expect to see cute and fuzzy animations–this live-action version has a darker tone. Will viewers still feel the connection between Belle and the scarier Beast?

2. Born in China – April 21, 2017 While more of a documentary than a movie, Born in China follows three panda families on their adventures in the wild. But cute pandas aren’t even the best part–the film is narrated by John Krasinski (Jim) from The Office. What more could you ask for?

3. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 – May 5, 2017 Not everyone would consider this to be a “true” Disney movie since Marvel only recently became part of the company, but others are excited about it nonetheless. I haven’t seen the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie, but based on the trailer it seems like it will be funny and entertaining. And who doesn’t love Chris Pratt?

4. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales – May 26, 2017 Again? Yes, this is the fifth film in the series, and who knows how many more are still to come. Since Johnny Depp never seems to age, maybe they’ll go on forever! This installment includes zombie pirates that want to kill everyone. Tune in to see how Jack Sparrow escapes this adventure.

5. Cars 3 – June 16, 2017 Some might say it’s a mistake to make another Cars movie, but this has potential! If anything it will at least be cute, because what Pixar movie isn’t? All of your favorite characters are still around for one last adventure (or will there be more?)!

6. Thor: Ragnarok – November 3, 2017 This movie is another that doesn’t scream “Disney,” but I promise that it is. There are lots of big names in this one including Tom Hiddleston, Mark Ruffalo, and Chris Hemsworth. Thor must get back to Asgard in time to save his home from being destroyed, but first he has to challenge the Hulk.

7. Coco – November 22, 2017 This is the movie I’m most excited for because it’s another Pixar original, and Pixar is great. Viewers will travel through the Land of the Dead with Miguel; he loves music and must figure out why his family forbids it. I’m calling it now: this movie will be adorable!

8. Star Wars: Episode VIII – December 15, 2017 I’m not much of a Star Wars fan myself, but it seems that just about everyone else is. Rey, BB-8, and Finn are back again for more adventures. Luke Skywalker will have more time than in the last movie, which will hopefully help answer so many fan questions. Director Rian Johnson wants this movie to be a funny one! So there you have it–your Disney movie selection for 2017. There’s something for everyone this year, so head to a theater and experience some Disney magic! 

Cassie is a senior from Eagle, WI. She is pursuing a major in English with a writing emphasis and minoring in Applied and Professional Writing and Psychology. She hopes to one day work for an editing or publishing company and write books on the side. There are few things she loves more than Disney and Bernie Sanders, except maybe animals.
Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.