What You Should Be for Halloween Based on Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

If you’re a college student, choosing the right costume for Halloween can be very tricky. You don’t want to step on anyone’s toes, or take the time to go out and buy accessories and wigs, so read this handy guide to impress your friends and truly embody your major.

Philosophy

The Cave from Plato’s Allegory

Biology

Gregor Mendel with a can of garden peas

Chemistry

The broken end of a glass Pasteur pipette

Computer Science

The listicles that explain “why everyone should take a computer science course” 

Statistics

Statistics about statistics

Asian Studies

The Tank Man. But stand on route 2 for a less than ideal recreation.

History

The dung heap from the Defenestration of Prague

“Count von Thurn turned to both Martinice and Slavata and said “you are enemies of us and of our religion, have desired to deprive us of our Letter of Majesty, have horribly plagued your Protestant subjects… and have tried to force them to adopt your religion against their wills or have had them expelled for this reason”. Then to the crowd of Protestants, he continued “were we to keep these men alive, then we would lose the Letter of Majesty and our religion… for there can be no justice to be gained from or by them”. Soon after, the two Regents and their secretary were defenestrated, but they survived the 70-foot (21-metre) fall from the third floor.[4][5] Catholics maintained the men were saved by angels or by the intercession of the Virgin Mary, who caught them; later Protestant pamphleteers asserted that they survived due to falling onto a dung heap…” -Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestrations_of_Prague

English

Williams Shakespeare and the various conspiracy theories on who he really was (Edward De Vere or Sir Francis Bacon or Christopher Marlowe or Williams Manley or William Stanley or Roger Manners)

Economics

The cost benefit analysis of skipping class

Art History

Be the entire Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymous Bosch

Theater

Odds are you’re in a costume already

Music

A whole rest with a crescendo

Dance

The curtain that never gets easier to open in the main studio

Political Science

People don’t want to think about American politics so dress like Justin Trudeau and you’ll be sure to have a good time

Mathematics

Tell your friends you’re dressing as “i”, the imaginary number, and stay at home

Physics

In Physics, apparently the faster an object moves, the heavier it’s mass gets. Just wear a sign that says your body is traveling really really fast and eat snickers and smarties to do your costume justice.

Psychology

Cognitive dissonance. Say you’re vegan, but wear your collector’s edition leather cowboy costume and save yourself a trip to dollar general

Women and Gender Studies

A woman in a wool dress and corset sweating in the back row of the Seneca Fall Convention with a tattoo of a heart that says “I love Stanton and Anthony”

Anthropology

Dress up as lucy, the first complete set of bones archaeologists found of a female who lived in Ethiopia 3.2 million years ago

Sociology

The Code of Hammurabi, the earliest example of fundamental law in 1754 BC

Language

Google translate

Religion

Just don’t go there. Bad choice.

Undecided

Adam Falk

Nica is a Senior at Williams College majoring in Biology and taking pre-medical courses. She is a member of Ritmo Latino and GQ A cappella. Her passions include public health, reading, and yoga.