From Southern Cali to Williamstown and Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

This time for dead week I was lucky enough to spend a couple of days in Southern California. Although the trip was mainly an important conference, I was still able to have some fun and explore the 5 Claremont College campuses. Now as I take my trip back to Williamstown I can’t help but compare.

All the campuses were very beautiful in their own ways. Pitzer was sort of like the artistic campus. There were many different areas of the campus painted with student artwork. They all varied in meaning and style, but all meant something important. Harvey Mudd although a little on the less aesthetically pleasing side, all the dorms were definitely ready for one thing–Partying. Each dorm surrounded their own little quads, with speakers outside and what looked like bar counters by the doors. Claremont Mckenna although seemingly on the more modern side looked beautiful also. Pomona’s campus reminded me a bit of a cross between Malibu Barbies beach house and a boarding school. The last campus was Scripps. Ultimately, Scripps was Renaissance spain with its rose bushes growing along the walls and fresh tangerine, orange, and kumquat trees ready to be picked from on campus.

Obviously the first thing that was different was the weather. While everyone in Williamstown were probably bundled up in Canada Goose’s and snow boots, everyone in California were sporting Birkenstocks and tanks. Every day in Cali was warm, bright, and 70 degrees.

The next was the campus. Every Claremont college felt like I was walking on the set of Zoey 101. I’m pretty sure there were more places to park your skateboard than a car or a bike. Honestly, I think also saw ore people sunbathing on the lawn than going to class.

Another small difference between Claremont Colleges and Williams College was the students lounging by their own campuses outdoor swimming pools while we skate on our own outdoor ice rink. The town if Claremont was a little different from Williamstown also. For one it was definitely opened every night past 8. Although it was a lot bigger, there is still nothing like cozy Spring street.

Still, nothing will beat the way the campus looks every time it’s covered in feets of snow yet to be walked in. There is nothing like the way the Mountains look once the leaves begin to change colors and  portray a spectrum of colors. Southern California may have its perks but Williamstown will always be Williamstown and Williams will always be Williams.

Hi, my name is Crissy and I am from New York City! I am the campus correspondent for this year's cohort of empowered females and I am extremely excited to work with new people. I wouldn't call myself an experienced writer, but I do enjoy writing for this online platform. Hopefully, you will enjoy our pieces too!
Nica is a Senior at Williams College majoring in Biology and taking pre-medical courses. She is a member of Ritmo Latino and GQ A cappella. Her passions include public health, reading, and yoga.