A Conversation With The Creators Of @thebreakfastchick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

@thebreakfastchick is run by Catherine, a senior at Brown University, and Bridget, a senior at Williams College.

What inspired you to create @thebreakfastchick?

I’ve loved cooking and photography since I was a little kid and the idea of a food Instagram was always something I was intrigued by. So, right after my final exams last December, I created an account called @cateats. Brown has super long winter breaks, so I had plenty of time to get the account started and make a ton of recipes. Pretty soon after starting the account, I realized @cateats was perhaps not the best name, haha. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, so I decided to focus mostly on that, and after much brainstorming about a new name, @thebreakfastchick was born! I’m coming up on my one year anniversary of starting it and it’s very exciting! It’s been a lot of fun.

What is your go-to breakfast in the morning if you are cooking for yourself?

Avocado toast is definitely my go-to. There’s nothing better than avocado mashed with lemon and a perfectly fried egg on some toast. I definitely eat a lot of eggs and avocados. Probably too many…

What has been your favorite creation so far?

That’s a tough one; it’s always fun to experiment with new recipes and ingredients. I would have to say I love making s’mores breakfast creations… s’mores waffles, s’mores pancakes etc. I just bought a culinary torch which will really let me step up my marshmallow roasting game.

Which @thebreakfastchick post has been the fans’ favorite?

A big favorite would probably have to be a step-by-step picture of how to make an avocado rose. It looks super complicated but in actuality isn’t that hard!

Many people create food accounts that don’t end up getting a big following. Did you ever doubt yourself?

At the beginning, it was definitely challenging. Many people thought I was silly to start the account and that it wouldn’t really go anywhere. However, month by month the account kept growing and I eventually received compliments from the original #haterz. By the time we hit 5k, I no longer had doubts. Now we’re at almost 14.5k, which is pretty crazy.

What’s been your favorite part of running @thebreakfastchick?

It’s a great excuse to make extravagant breakfasts! It’s also been awesome to connect with thousands of people around the world and to work with different brands and restaurants.

Do you have a favorite breakfast spot if you’re not cooking?

One of my favorite breakfast spots is Bubby’s in New York City — their pancakes are incredible! When I’m at Brown, I really love to go to this cute place in Providence called the Duck and Bunny. They have this amazing Bananas foster french toast and tons of different crepes. It’s to die for.

What’s the plan for @thebreakfastchick?

For now, we’re really just focusing on trying to increase our following. So that means posting consistently and trying to switch up the recipes we make. One of my best friends from high school, Bridget, recently started running the account with me, which has been huge. It’s great to have another person helping with posts, and Bridget’s pictures always do super well. We’re also hoping to start making recipe videos similar to the ones made by Tasty. That would definitely be a lot of work, but we think how-to videos would be well-received!

Follow @thebreakfastchick on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/thebreakfastchick/

Nica is a Senior at Williams College majoring in Biology and taking pre-medical courses. She is a member of Ritmo Latino and GQ A cappella. Her passions include public health, reading, and yoga.