7 Sexist Things Only City Girls Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

1.Choosing a fashionable outfit is as essential as brushing your teeth in the morning. Girls get so much more pressure for what they choose to wear than men. It’s partially a result of the pressure they feel from their female comrades, but most of women’s motivation for dressing nicely is predominantly dictated by the desire to impress the other sex.

2. You are well aware that there is no need to smile when a stranger tells you to. Not smiling in public is totally okay. Let your smile hang upside down because not everything needs to be dipped in daisies 24/7! People who smile all the time are either people who don’t have anything to complain about or are deceivingly insecure.

3.City girls are so comfortable with strangers and passing people on the street that there is no reason to get anxious about eye contact. It’s difficult to spend all your attention on the little things. Your eyes will get tangled up if your try to focus on putting one foot in front of the other while juggling your coffee, books, tote, and cell phone and still attempt to be flirty with that cute person coming your way. But if you really want to, it’s worth sneaking in a glance or two.

4. When you see a man begging on a busy sidewalk, it’s naturally expected that he will offer you a forced compliment, and you don’t feel pressured to say thank you. It’s comments like these that men don’t have the pleasure of hearing, but that’s because they aren’t objectified in the same way as women are. So take this into consideration the next time you hear something nice from a man on the street, and if you get backlash for being “unkind” than flip him off and go have yourself a nice day.

5. You know that it is not acceptable to wear high heels out anymore. Comfort and mobility over fashion. High heels just compliment male’s preferences for how a woman should dress. Those low-key stilts are not city shoes, no matter how often you hear Carrie Bradshaw boast about how good they make her feel. No matter how cute they are, or how good they make your calves look, leave those babies at home and save them for a night out in Vegas, where the streets are not nicely paved and relatively clean.

6. When on the train, be comfortable with ignoring any man that initiates conversation with you. Sometimes it’s flattering and has potential to result in meaningful conversation, but when you sniff something gone rancid or the person has a coat with weird damp stains all over, feel free to walk to another part of the train, or tell him upfront you don’t have time to talk.

7. Waiting in line at Starbucks can get boring, so you can easily spark up a conversation with the girl who you see is also a regular, or talk about whatever’s on your news app with absolutely anyone. I’m sure if anyone, be it someone from a city or small town, phrases it nicely and acts genuinely interested in what they say, you’ll make a new friend in no time. If we stand together, girl power will overpower female discrimination!

Nica is a Senior at Williams College majoring in Biology and taking pre-medical courses. She is a member of Ritmo Latino and GQ A cappella. Her passions include public health, reading, and yoga.