10 Perks of Being the Middle Child

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

Growing up as the middle child, you get both the best (and the worst) of both worlds. But we really lucked out in the end.

1. Your older sibling had to test the waters and pave the road for you.

1. But you also have a younger sibling to boss around and impart great words of wisdom to

1. You have the most refined and cultivated personality.

1. You’re rebellious.  

​In your attempt to get attention, you’ve fortunately developed an affinity for deviant behavior.

5. You’re a peacemaker.

​Growing up as a the neutral mediator between the oldest and youngest child developed really did develop the diplomat in you.

6. You have great negotiating skills

​Having access to multiple perspectives also taught you how to manipulate situations to fit your wants.

7. You’re strong, fierce, and independent.

1. You’re not afraid of taking risks.

Being less susceptible to intensive helicopter parenting allowed for a lot more creative freedom to do what you want and be who you want.

1. You have great leadership potential.

​10. Over half of United States Presidents were middle children.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Abraham_Lincoln_November_1863.jpg

11. We’re in awesome company!

Bill Gates, JLO, Anne Hathaway, Carlton Banks, Madonna, and Fred and George Weasley were all middle children!

Emily Han

Williams

Emily is a sophomore at Williams College and is completely undecided on a major. She loves her coffee with soy milk and no sugar, alternative rock music, and  quality time with her poodle Lady Soy Cappuccino back home.
Nica is a Senior at Williams College majoring in Biology and taking pre-medical courses. She is a member of Ritmo Latino and GQ A cappella. Her passions include public health, reading, and yoga.