Vegetarian for a Day, with Ingredients You Probably Already Have at Home!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The benefits of reducing meat in your diet are countless both personally and environmentally. Leonardo DiCaprio put heavy importance on how the time is now to save our planet. DiCaprio, the Executive Producer for Cowspiracy, was vague in giving direct examples on how we can accomplish this, but reducing or eliminating meat from your diet entirely is a great step, and one of the best things you can do (check out this quick link  if you’re interested in finding out what some key reasons are!). This article will not get into that, but will instead focus on some easy meatless meals you can introduce into your diet if you feel so inclined!

Meat-eaters can sometimes think that vegetarian meals have to be tasteless, complicated, and expensive – all false statements. Enjoy these easy recipes that are personal favourites!

Breakfast: Mushroom-Pepper-Cheese Omelet

Feel free to substitute any filling ingredient (i.e. tomato, white onion, green onion, etc. all work well), and cheese is optional depending on your preference.

-2 Eggs

-1½  Mushrooms, chopped

-Peppers of your Choice, chopped

-1 tbsp oil

-Salt & pepper for taste

-Shredded cheese to taste (optional)

-1 slice of bread (optional)

1.     Chop mushrooms and peppers. Whisk eggs in a separate bowl, add salt and pepper to taste.

2.     Grease frying pan with oil, set burner on medium heat.  Small to medium-sized frying pans will make your omelet easiest to flip, in addition to making sure your pan is well-greased.

3.     Saute vegetables in pan until they are sizzling. Pour eggs into pan.

4.     Lift corner of omelet with a fork or spatula to check for it a lightly golden bottom. Flip your omelette with a spatula, or use a plate to help you do so easier. (Flip frying pan over plate upside down, and slide omelette back into pan to fry other side).

5.     Lower heat. Shred cheese onto one half of omelette, and use spatula to fold omelette in half (non-cheese on to cheese half).

6.     Enjoy with a slice of toast or in a sandwich.

Lunch: Grilled Avo-Mushroom-Lettuce Sandwich

-2 Slices of Bread (of your Choice)

-1/3 Avocado

-1 Mushroom

-2 pieces of Romaine Lettuce

-Splash of Teriyaki or Soy Sauce

-Pinch of Garlic Powder

-Pinch of Salt & Black Pepper

-Block Cheese (Cheddar/Marble/Mozzarella – your choice)

To make this recipe vegan, just omit the cheese. The sandwich is still tasty without it!

1.     Butter both slices of bread, and put the buttered side down onto a plate. Non-buttered side of each slice should face up.

2.     Mash or slice avocado, depending on preference and spread on one slice of bread. Sprinkle salt, garlic powder, black pepper on top. Sprinkle lime juice on top if you want/have.

3.     Slice mushroom. In a frying pan, saute mushroom slices. Add splash of teriyaki or soy sauce now. Put mushroom slices on top of avocado layer.

4.     Make a layer of lettuce on top of mushrooms.

5.     Close sandwich – buttered sides of each slice of bread on the outside.

6.     Rinse frying pan,  put frying pan on burner, turn burner on low-to-medium heat (3 or 4).

7.     Let pan heat for 30-60 seconds, before placing sandwich in pan.

8.     Grill each side until golden brown. Open sandwich and add in slices of cheese – putting it in now after grilling prevents your sandwich from being too gooey.

9.     Enjoy!

Dinner:  Veggie Fried Rice

-2 Cups of Cooked Rice

-2-3 Cloves of Garlic

-⅓ Medium White Onion

-¾ Cup of Frozen Peas-Corn-Carrots Combo

-2 Eggs

-Large frying pan or Wok

-3 tablespoons of Soy Sauce

-2 heaping tablespoons of chopped green onion

-1 teaspoon of rice vinegar (optional)

-Oil

To make this recipe vegan, omit the eggs. The recipe is still tasty without it!

1.     Cook your rice. If you don’t know how, check out this link.

2.     Put frozen vegetables into a pot of boiling water for a few minutes until cooked. Drain, set aside.

3.     Chop/mince garlic cloves and onion. Heat tsp of oil in pan, and fry up garlic and onion.

4.     In same pan or wok, scramble eggs together.

5.     Dump in cooked rice, stir. Dump in peas-corn-carrots combination. Stir.

6.     Pour in Soy sauce. Pour in rice vinegar now if you have some/want to. Stir.

7.     Top with chopped green onions.

8.     Enjoy!

Bon appetit, collegiettes! xo

Erin's top two pastimes would definitely have to be binge-watching tv shows, and binge-eating spicy salmon maki rolls. While both may sound incredibly basic, they bring her ultimate happiness.
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem