samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Unofficial Laurier Undergraduate Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I sit here in my final weeks as a Laurier student and I am happy to announce that I am fully satisfied with my last four years here as a Golden Hawk. I really believe that I experienced everything Laurier has to offer and I have no regrets. Because of this realization, I want you all to feel the same. So, my friends, as my undergrad comes to an end, I have fashioned the ultimate Laurier bucket list to pass onto you, the bright and shiny students itching to make some memories. Check off these things one by one and make the most out of your four years here at Laurier. Haven’t you heard by now, its great to be a Laurier Golden Hawk? Accomplish the things on this list and truly find out why. 

Participate in Laurier’s Favourite Holidays

WLU is famous for several things, and one of them is our all-day party days. People from far and wide travel to Waterloo for Laurier’s Homecoming and St. Patrick’s Day because if there’s one thing that Laurier is good at, it’s showing people a good time. My first piece of advice for you is to take advantage of these days because they are a blast. 

Try Wilf’s Spin Dip

It’s famous for a reason, that’s all I’m going to say (I suggest getting all pita).

Support your School Teams

Laurier is big on sports, and I am telling you, it is so much fun to go with a group of your friends and support your school in purple and gold.  You only have one university experience, and this is your chance to go out and show some school spirit. 

Ride the Bull at Dallas 

It’s part of your initiation as a Golden Hawk. Yes, the large mechanical bull is daunting, but after a few drinks, it doesn’t seem so bad. You’re going to be there every Friday anyway, you might as well ride the bull. 

Do a Pub Crawl 

Whether it’s 12Barz or Bunny Hop, you have to do at least one. Get all your friends together in one team and I promise you won’t regret it. 

Join a Club

If you have ANY interests at all, I assure you that Laurier has a club for that. Go ahead and step out of your comfort zone and join a club. I know you hear it all the time, but it really is an awesome way to meet new friends, especially those with the same interests as you. 

Go to Ethel’s on Taco Tuesday

My friends and I make this a staple in our week. We are huge fans of getting a lot of food for a small price, and if you’re anything like us, Ethel’s is the place to be on a Tuesday. Did I mention it is only $2.00, for 4 tacos…? 

Take Your Picture with the Wilf Statue 

Wilf is seated on a 2-seater bench right in front of the quad, he’s just waiting for you to sit beside him and snap that pic. You have to commemorate your time here somehow, what better way than a selfie with good ol’ Sir Wilfrid Laurier. 

Go to The Turret 

When you realize a Seagram wrap is waiting for you downstairs after you finish your vodka cran. 

Sing Karaoke at Chainsaw 

Tuesdays call for $2.00 beers and off-pitch scream singing here in Waterloo. Good news? Chainsaw offers you both. Toss back your drink and get on stage, we all know you want to.

Sunday Morning Breakfast 

There is nothing better than piecing together your blurry Saturday night out with your girlfriends over eggs and bacon. Utilize the great breakfast spots in Waterloo like Cora’s, Angel’s or Mel’s Diner, and laugh at last night’s drunken mistakes.

Rack Up Your Fair Share of Phil’s Pitchers 

Phil’s pitchers act as trophies in every Laurier student house. They sit above your cupboards with pride screaming “YES WE DRINK!!”, “YES WE GO TO PHILS EVERY SUNDAY!!” Collect as many colours as possible so you can show your kids one day how cool you once were. 

Get a Late Night Grilled Cheese at ‘Cheesus Murphy’s’

This is the ultimate Uptown hidden treasure. My biggest advice to you is, after your night out in Uptown Waterloo any Friday or Saturday night, stumble on down to Princess Café. This haven opens its doors every Friday and Saturday night from 12am-3am to serve greasy cheesy snacks for under $6. You’re welcome. 

There you have it folks, four years of wisdom compiled into one short list of things to accomplish during your undergrad. Check off the things on my list, add some of your own and pass it on. There are endless things to achieve here at Laurier, this is just a handful. Now last but not least, enjoy your time as a Golden Hawk, I know I did. *sobs all over laptop*

Sara Domaratzki

Wilfrid Laurier

A lively and mildly entertaining 4th year Communications Studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University.  Enjoys dancing obnoxiously, quoting movies to anyone who will listen and eating various high calorie snacks. 
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.