Thoughts Everyone Has While Losing Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Something that I have learned is that it does not matter how old you are, friends are going to come and go, and there is nothing you can do about it. Whether you’re 14 or 40, it’s inevitable. You grow up, you lose friends. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad thing. Through the emotional rollercoaster of losing friends, there are countless thoughts that you end up thinking during the process. Here are a few you can probably relate to.

“Oh well.”

There is always that friend who has brought more drama into your life than happiness. When the moment finally comes that decide to rid yourself of this friend, it doesn’t really phase you. You hold your head up high and move on without flinching. They did you wrong, it’s really their loss.

“Who am I going to have fun with now?”

This is a sad thought that usually happens when your so-called ‘fun friend’ gets serious with their significant other, or maybe even moves away. Your partner in crime has left you for dead and you can’t bear the thought of breaking in a new adventure buddy. This is a low point for you.

“Who?”

Sometimes, friends just slip under the radar. Whether it’s distance, or both of you are just at two different stages of life, you drift apart. More than likely, you drift apart without really even noticing… Oops? “They always had good snacks at their house…”

It’s a shame to lose the friend with the same passion for eating as you. This is one that is a real loss. You could always count on this friend to have your favourite flavour of Lays chips in her cupboard, and she was always willing to share. Too bad, you think. I’ll miss the snacks.

“Please…PLEASE, leave me alone”

Sometimes you go through life and YOU are the one trying to get rid of a friend. Whether it’s because you just don’t have the same interests anymore or, dare I say it, they’re just annoying the crap out of you… IT’S OKAY. This happens, and it’s natural. Although, sometimes these friends don’t go down without a fight. As much as you dodge their calls or ignore their texts, they just won’t go away.  “My mom will be happy about this”

There is always that one friend who your mom has just never been a fan of. She doesn’t care for his attitude, or she doesn’t like the way she influences you. Long story short, she is happy they are out of your life.

Let’s face it, you’re going to lose a couple of friends in your lifetime. My advice is: don’t sweat it. It is a part of life and some friendships just have longer shelf lives than others. Now, let’s pour one out for all the friends we’ve lost over the years. RIP “besties”.

Sara Domaratzki

Wilfrid Laurier

A lively and mildly entertaining 4th year Communications Studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University.  Enjoys dancing obnoxiously, quoting movies to anyone who will listen and eating various high calorie snacks. 
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.