Reasons Why I Will Never Own a Scale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Here’s the thing…society sucks. Society glorifies thigh gaps, skinny teas, detoxes, and the worst part of all, a stupid f*cking number on a scale. Throughout my whole life, I have been afraid of scales, and I have never even personally owned one. The thing about them that made me afraid is the stupid number it shows while standing on them. I haven’t weighed myself in years, and this is because I don’t own a scale, and I never will. The most important thing is being healthy, not thin.

Here are my reasons why you should never own a scale….

It’s just a number.

Weight is ultimately just a number. It doesn’t define who you really are.  Your personality is what defines you, not your weight. I don’t really care about how much I weigh, unless I’m extremely unhappy with my body.

It messes with your self-esteem.

It really can ruin your self-esteem. Society makes young girls and women believe if they’re not a certain weight, they will never be accepted. This isn’t true! Everyone should just love themselves no matter what that scale says.

It is not accurate.

Your weight is constantly changing and fluctuating. There are things that go in your body, come out, transform, and dissolve. This can cause your weight to fluctuate over a 24-48 hour period.  Depending on what you ate, how much water you drank, how much sodium was in your food, what kind of clothing you were wearing and what time of day you weigh yourself, your weight WILL be different.

There you go! There are my 3 reasons as to why I, nor anyone, should ever own a scale. Don’t let some number on a stupid machine control how you feel about yourself. Everyone is beautiful no matter what size they are.

Jaden Lundy

Wilfrid Laurier

I'm a girl who loves her food and also loves her dogs a.k.a my two favourites things in the entire world.