Growing Out Your Brows: How to & What to Expect

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I’ve had crazy brows for about as long as I can remember. They had absolutely no shape whatsoever, were bushy and untamed.

When I was in grade 6, my mom took me to get my brows done. I didn’t even ask, she just knew they had to be tamed. For a few years, I’d get them waxed and touched up, and eventually started tweezing them at home. My mom warned me not to over-pluck, and thankfully I took her advice, but last year, when the full brow trend really came into full swing, I knew I wanted to amp up my brows, and honestly, the constant tweezing was exhausting.

I decided to start growing them out last September, and noticed a major difference probably 8 or 9 months later, so if you’re looking for a quick solution, growing out your brows isn’t your best option, but we’ll get there.

Here’s some tips and important things you should know about growing out your brows.

1. Put. The. Tweezers. Down.

I know, it’s hard. My hair grows thick, dark and fast, and I was used to tweezing the odd hair 2-3 times a week. Some articles I found online advised me to stop tweezing completely, but I have some random hairs that grow past my brow (like upper eyelid) and that was not the look I was going for. If you’ve got some sporadic hairs, pluck ‘em, but leave anything in the natural brow area.

2. Be patient

As mentioned, growing your brows takes a lot of time. Some say it takes up to a year for them to grow back to a natural state.  If you’re looking for a bold brow like, now, invest in a brow pencil, brow kit, wax, or touch up spots with a matching shade of eyeshadow.

You can also fake fuller brows by brushing your hairs up and outwards. This will also make your brows look more tamed and tidy!

3. Your growth will not be consistent

Years of waxing, threading, sugaring and/or tweezing damages the hair follicles, which can affect the hair growth. Parts of my brow grew really fast, and other parts were really sparse for a few months. This is where the brow pencil was crucial.

4. Figure out what you want

Do you want shaped, arched brows? Straight and full? How close do you want them to be? What are your brow goals?! Figure out your end goal, and resist the urge to pluck. I found myself focusing a lot of other people’s brows as mine were growing out. Eventually, I figured out what I wanted mine to look like to best fit my face and the look I wanted.

5. Remember brows are sisters, not twins.

Your brows will never be identical.

Results don’t come quick, but they sure pay off! Put down the tweezers and wait for your brows to grow.

Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier University
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.