Five Ways to Survive Your Weekly Winter Bar Outing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s a stressful time of year for students; you spend your week working diligently through those readings, assignments, and quizzes, and by Friday, or perhaps Thursday, heck maybe already by Wednesday, you need a night out. While September through November pose very little issues, December through March involves sub-zero temperatures, icicles hanging from your nose, and frostbitten feet. Week after week, we freeze our a**es off just to cut loose and forget about the stressful school week. Here are some tips to surviving that dreadfully cold, long bar line that stands between you and your girls night out.

Cover up

I get it, you want to look cute so “you started wearing less and going out more.” Can we save that motto for May? Fishnets and booty shorts (actual outfit I witnessed this past weekend) are not going to keep you warm while you wait in line (for potentially more than an hour) to get into your favourite bar. It’s cold out there ladies, try leggings and a cute top, or at least a pair of tights without holes in them.

Stick together

Literally, get closer. There is no way you show up to a bar sober. Since I know this is not the case, and we all know drunk girls love to make new friends, start before you even get inside. Get nice and close with some new pals, and preserve that body heat. Don’t all push at once though, or the bouncer will start yelling, and threaten your chances of even getting into the bar.

Break into your collection of boots

Yes, we love the sandals, the wedges, and the high heels, don’t get me wrong. But in the winter, why not go for an ankle bootie, an over-the-knee heel boot, or a classic riding boot. Your toes will be covered and your legs will have an extra layer as well. Frostbite – no thank you!

Go a little earlier

While prime time seems to be between 10:30 and 11:30, my friends and I spent an hour outside the pub on Saturday night. While we contemplated going at 9:30, we decided that was insanely early and pulled up at 10. Thinking that would still be early, we entered the line behind about 75 other people who had thought it through and probably made it for 9:30. It seems early, but in an attempt to avoid the crazy line, plan to show up a little earlier, or have a slice of pizza (mmm carbs) across the street so you can scout the perfect time to make your way to the bar.

Coat Check

While it may cost a few bucks, take advantage of the opportunity of a safe place for your beloved parka while you dance the night away. If not for mine this weekend, I may have become hypothermic (I really don’t know how the girl in fishnets survived but you go girl!). You can stay warm while your night of letting loose is prolonged by a half hour wait, and slip right back into it before you call it a night.

It’s tough deciding on a night out, or curling up into your nice warm bed, but don’t let that winter weather stop you. Cheers to a great night out and a wintery temperature that won’t get you down! Good luck and stay warm out there.

Jenna Weishar

Wilfrid Laurier

Fourth year, 20-something year old Psychology and Sociology Major at Wifrid Laurier University. Sorority Girl. Lover of Grey's Anatomy, the Bachelor/Bachelorette, and Sex and the City. Relies heavily on caffeine to get through the day, and wine at night. Follow me on Instagram: @jennaweishar and Twitter: @jennaweishar
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.