priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash

Feel the Vibrations: A Beginner’s Guide to Sex Toys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

So you want to spice things up in the bedroom, or maybe you’re just looking for something new and exciting. Well let me tell you: I’m here to help. Talking about sex toys can be rather awkward; not to mention, there’s that the fear of walking into your local Love Shop with no f*cking idea where to start and praying someone that you know doesn’t casually stroll in. Well my dear, you’ve come to the right spot. I’m going to give you the ins and outs of what to look for in your first sex toy purchase and how they aim to spice up your usual missionary b*llshit.

Dirty Dice

This is a great choice if you want to try something new without getting too risky. The dice will have different things on each side. For example, one die could say ‘nibble’ and the other will say ‘ear’. They’re a great way to break the tension and maybe get the conversation of toys for the bedroom started. 

Blindfold

This is an easy and playful way to turn a simple touch into something very sensual. When you are unable to see what your partner is doing, your other senses are heightened and trying to tell your brain what the heck is happening. Even the slightest touch will send shivers down your spine.

Handcuffs

So you’ve decided you’re going to get tied up; simple, yet still kind of kinky. Your best bet is some handcuffs. These can be modest, bedazzled, or fluffy – whatever your style, there is a pair of handcuffs to match. These babies will give you a taste of the bondage vibe and can add some awesome opportunities for role playing – not to mention when you can’t use your hands to touch your partner, your senses are once again being stimulated in a new foreign way.TIP: Pair these with a blindfold to really get your senses going!

Edible Lingerie

Maybe it’s just me, but anything that mixes sex and food is something I’m totally down for. These are exactly what they sound like: undies you can eat, and they come in a variety of styles including hard candy and gummy candy. Put them on as a tasty little surprise for your partner. You can get the matching bra or a set for your partner!

Bullet Vibrator

This is definitely my #1 pick! Not only is this toy great for when you’re alone, but it can also amp up your sex life with your partner. When buying your first vibrator, the ‘Bullet’ is a great choice as it is small with adjustable speed, waterproof, and inexpensive (plus it comes in pretty colours). There’s many ways you can use this toy, so try new things and do what feels right for you. Whether that’s having your partner hold it for you or using it while you’re having sex, experimenting with your new toy will make it more enjoyable for both of you.

Vibrating Dick Ring

Although this one sounds scary, it’s actually the exact opposite. Not only is this a hands-free alternative to a vibrator, but it also allows both partners to focus on the sex while the vibration provides a little extra excitement for both of you.

Lube

Okay, so maybe lube isn’t a toy, but it sure helps. You can experiment with different kinds of lube and what to do with it. There are many different varieties that create different experiences. For example, there’s ‘His & Hers’ lube, which allows one of you to feel heat while the other gets a chilly sensation. There are lubes specifically for massages, oral pleasure, and just plain sex. Try out different ones for different occasions to spice up your usual routine!

Paddle

If someone in your relationship is a big fan of touching your bum, then this is the toy for you. Instead of touching your/their butt with your hand, try tapping them with a paddle instead. It will be sure to add a little “oomph” to what you are used to.

Flogger

Now you’re probably thinking there’s no way something for a beginner could have this weird name, and it was definitely in 50 Shades of Grey. But trust me, it’s a lot nicer than it seems. This toy is great for tickling your partner in a very sensual way. Mixing this toy with a blindfold works well since it’s not a texture you’re used to being touched with, so your senses are put into overdrive.

Things You Already Have at Home

For those of you already on a tight student budget, this is probably the most helpful. You can use things you may have in your house to get the same results as some of the sex toys. For example, if handcuffs are out of your budget, try using a tie that your partner may have laying around. Or, for something along the lines of edible lingerie, try using some whip cream instead!

Hopefully this guide will help beginners to feel less nervous about getting started! 

AJ H

Wilfrid Laurier '19

stay smiling
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem