Campus Celebrity: Mikayla Buconjic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Meet Mikayla, the face behind our Style Blog articles! Check back every Thursday for a new post from our resident fashionista on anything and everything beauty, style and fashion!

Name: Mikayla Buconjic       Year: SecondProgram: Communications StudiesHometown: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario

Why did you want to get involved with Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier?

When I saw the post for Her Campus WLU on my Facebook homepage I was immediately drawn in. Learning that it was an online international magazine that I could potentially write for was a dream come true. I wanted to gain experience working/writing for a magazine because that’s what I hope to pursue as a career. I also wanted to get involved with Her Campus for the opportunity to become more active in the on-campus community here at Laurier, and to meet new people. Her Campus WLU has been, and continues to be an amazing experience.

What is your favourite part of being our Style Blog writer?

My favorite part is getting to share my articles with my friends and family every Thursday when they come out. I really enjoy thinking of new topics to write about, sharing my thoughts, and hearing feedback. Writing for Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier has really given me a sense of accomplishment. Every time I publish an article I feel one step closer to where I want to be, and what I want to do in the future.   

What is your go-to fashion piece?

Right now I would have to say my go-to fashion piece would be my black booties from Aldo. They were a little bit of am impulsive splurge, but I am SO glad I bought them. They have become an essential piece to every outfit. Whether I’m going casual with a pair of jeans, or dressing it up for a night out on the weekend, I know they will go perfect with anything!

Who is your fashion icon and why?

I would have to say Lauren Conrad when it comes to everyday outfits, and Gossip’s Girls Serena Van Der Woodsen (Blake Lively) when I’m trying to dress fancy for a special occasion. I absolutely love Lauren Conrad’s casual, preppy style. Her outfits are always so well put together and fashionable. The best part is that they are realistic outfits that I could put together on my own for a reasonable price. When it comes to dressier clothing items, Serena Van Der Woodsen is my inspiration. Half of the reason I watched the series was strictly to see her outfits. She is always so elegant and classy while still looking super modern and fun.

What is one holiday favourite that you cannot live without?

One holiday favorite of mine would have to be bold lipsticks. When the winter season rolls around, I love to pull out my bright red lipstick. It’s super festive and I love the colour. It’s a timeless classic; I really don’t think it will ever go out of style. 

Our readers want to know, what is the BEST store to buy fun and fashionable pieces at… for a reasonable price?

Forever 21 never disappoint! They have everything – clothing, jewelry, shoes, sleepwear, swimwear, and more. They also have really great prices, and they often have pretty good sales. I love Forever 21 because they cover all the stops in one place. It makes it really simple and convenient to find everything you’re looking for.

What is your Holy Grail beauty product?

My holy grail beauty product would honestly have to be my “Loving Tan” self-tanner. I use a self-tanner body mousse all the way from Australia because I have a serious obsession. After I stopped tanning in the beds (due to the dangerous health risks they bring), I was on the hunt for the most realistic looking self-tanner, and this one has been the best I have found to date. I find a good tan never fails to make an outfit look it’s best, and I love that it leaves my skin with a summery shimmer glow… even in the dead of winter.

Any last words of advice for our fashionista readers?

To any readers that are interested in fashion and beauty there are so many ways to get involved in fashion/beauty regardless of your degree or major. I knew from the beginning of university that I wanted to pursue a career in fashion, but I had no experience and nothing substantial to show on my resume. I felt like I wasn’t moving in the right direction because I wasn’t in a fashion program, but then I started exploring different options. That’s when I discovered Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier, and realized I could gain the experience and skills I needed to pursue my future career while still majoring in my current program. Just don’t ever give up; there are many ways to achieve your goals!

Now that you’ve gotten to know our resident Style blogger we hope you will stay tuned for her articles! Mikayla puts her heart and soul into her pieces to give you the best content and we love having her on our HC WLU team! Thanks for the interview, Mikayla!

Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.