Campus Celebrity: Kelsey Jenkins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Kelsey Jenkins is a third year Communications student with a heart of gold, and a school spirit that can’t be tamed. For the past two years she has been representing Wilfrid Laurier as an Orientation Week Icebreaker, introducing first years to our amazing school, and showing them exactly what it means to be a proud and passionate Laurier student. This next Campus Celeb is without a doubt one of the most genuine Golden Hawks you’ll ever meet.

You’ve had a few roles on campus this year. Can you tell us what you love about each of them?

I love my role as a Club Communications Coordinator and as a general member on Hiring and Recruitment, because I have a great time working with these fantastic teams. I am also gaining experience for my future career in the field of communications. Also, being an Icebreaker is just the most rewarding experience. Not only do I get a family of Icebreakers and have a fantastic time doing fun activities, but I also have the opportunity to introduce first years to the Laurier experience and remain a mentor for them throughout their time here. Having more than one of my first year students tell me that I truly helped make Laurier feel like home to them was the best feeling in the world, because I want everyone to love this place like I do!

What are you looking forward to most this year?

As of right now, I am most looking forward to being a part of Winter Carnival for a second year. My first experience was one of the best times of my life, so I am eager to do it again! The 40 members of my team are some of the greatest people that I know!

What does being a Golden Hawk mean to you?

To me, a Golden Hawk is a student that embodies everything it means to be a part of the Laurier community. The main reason I came to this school was because of our sense of community and spirit. Laurier is the place where you’re sure to see a random act of kindness, someone smiling at a stranger, or even holding the door open for a person who is still steps away. To truly be golden, we simply have to treat our fellow students and community members the way that we want to be treated.

Pet peeves? What gets you on edge?

People who pretend to like sports! As a huge NFL junkie, when people go on raving about a team that they know nothing about, or bandwagon a team because they won a Super Bowl, it drives me up a wall. Yeah, you look great in your Instagram post, wearing that Seahawks jersey with the fangirl caption “GOOD LUCK TO MY BOYS TODAY XOXO,” but please, name me three players. #COLTSTRONG

Do you have a role model, and if so who?

I feel many people say this, but my mom above all else. For the majority of my life, my mother has been not only my mother, but my father as well. She worked every single day to provide the best for my brother and I, and it was always so much more than we ever even needed. She is the strongest, funniest, most independent, self-sufficient, and amazing person that I know. If I can one day grow up to be half of the woman that she is, I will be lucky. Watch five minutes of Lorelai and Rory Gilmore on Gilmore Girls and you’ll understand our relationship!

What are your values?

I believe in loyalty above all else; being there for the people that you care about, no matter what. I value honesty, because there is a way to be honest without being rude, and a lie will always hurt more than the truth. I believe in being kind to everyone around you, as you never know how much a simple “How are you?” can change someone’s day. However, I also believe in always standing up for who you are, those you care about and what you believe in, because without that you lose your sense of self. 

Chasya Dove

Wilfrid Laurier

English and Communications student at Wilfrid Laurier University with a passion for my city. Discovering Waterloo, ON has become my hobby from music festivals, arts shows, local restaurants and hidden coffee spots this place has got it all! With my passion for photography I strive to capture the moment, while learning that sometimes it's best to just let things be.
Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.