Style > Beauty

Beauty Trends that Need to Disappear ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Un-trend these as fast as you can!!

We’ve all seen beauty trends come and go.  However, there are always those trends that make me wonder… how is that a thing?? Here is a list of the ones that really need to go.  And fast!

Gross Face Masks

If you can’t think of something grosser than poop, just think of it all over your face.  Yup.  Gross!  This facemask by a Japanese brand called “Uguisu Poo” has REAL bird excrement as an active ingredient, claiming to brighten up your complexion.  Um thanks, but no thanks!

Ditch this gross beauty trend ASAP and do yourself a favour and get yourself over to Lush Cosmetics if you’re in the market for a yummy smelling face mask that is sure to solve all your skincare troubles.  Trust me, you’ll thank me later (three words: cupcake face mask!).

Contouring everywhere BUT your face

I think we can all agree that contouring is a Holy Grail trend that gives us those super-defined cheekbones we’ve always hoped for.  My question to you is: have you heard of a new beauty trend that involves contouring everywhere else except your face?

Believe me, I was confused too until I stumbled upon multiple YouTube videos demonstrating how to contour your legs and your arms.  Oh, and don’t forget your neck?!  Ladies, please dump this beauty trend ASAP.  Your body is beautiful just the way it is and your clothes definitely do not need bronzer stains all over them.

Coloured Contacts

I think it’s fair to say that coloured contacts should only make an appearance once a year, on Halloween.  They can definitely amp up a costume, but they’re not for everyday use.

They say the first thing a person notices about you is your eyes, so ditch this trend before you meet Mr. Right or he’s going to have some questions about why your baby blues have magically turned brown.

Furry Nails

This trend requires you to glue fur to your nails.  Yup, enough said.  If it were up to me, this trend couldn’t disappear fast enough.  If your nails don’t naturally grow fur I would suggest keeping them that way!

Stick to fun-coloured polish shades if you’re looking to spice up your nails.  And if you’re feeling extra adventurous, add some nail bling!  

Kylie Jenner Lip Challenge

If we aren’t already blessed with big luscious lips, we’re having a go at the Kylie Jenner inspired Lip Challenge.  It isn’t the most natural process (hello, neither was Kylie’s though!) nor is it the most comfortable…

This challenge basically requires you to suck on a small glass for 10-30 seconds in an attempt to make your lips look fuller.  Don’t try it.  It hurts and it doesn’t last.  Believe me, beauty isn’t always worth the pain.  Just embrace your natural lips, and if you really feel the need to plump them up, there’s always a trusty lip liner or lip plumper that will do the trick!

There you have it.  The crème de la crème of beauty trends that need to hit the curb as soon as possible.  If only there was a beauty magician around who could make these trends disappear…

Wilfrid Laurier Student who loves anything and everything related to fashion, beauty and lifestyle. Constantly living life though the wise words of fashion icon Coco Chanel, who preaches, "In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."