9 Things all University Students Should Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

1. Planner

A good planner is something every student needs. Having due dates and other commitments laid out in front of you is crucial for time management. This will allow you to keep organized and on top of everything in your busy life. Not only are planners functional, there are so many ways to be creative and make your planner look pretty, too. Plus, with all the planners on the market, you’ll be sure to find one you love. 

My planner this year is a ban.do planner and I’m obsessed with it! Shop them here.

2. Fitbit

Before I got my Fitbit, I thought it was just some gimmicky gadget that wasn’t worth the money, but I was SO wrong. There are so many useful functions, and they have helped me to be more conscious about my health. Mine has a sleep tracker so I can see the quality of my night’s sleep, and things like the step counter and heart rate monitor make it easier to keep track of my daily activity. With the connected app, you can set goals for your health, compete in challenges with friends, and even have access to workouts through the Fitbit Coach app that is then tracked by your Fitbit. I have a Fitbit Charge 2 and it’s perfect for my needs!

3. Portable phone battery

How many times have you been on campus between classes and have watched your phone battery drop faster than the temperature in Canadian winter? Having a portable battery will save your life. Plus, look how cute these ones are! 

Most stores like Walmart and Best Buy carry a wide variety of these portable batteries, but if you want one of the emoji ones, you can find them here

4. Lap desk

Perfect for studying in bed or on the couch, or even just binge-watching Netflix without the annoyance of trying to balance a laptop on your lap. There are so many styles available, and some even have cup holders and storage compartments. This one, in particular, has holes in the bottom, so your laptop won’t get as hot.

The one I’m talking about can be purchased here, but Amazon has dozens to choose from, too!

5. Brita 

A Brita filter is probably one of my most-used items, daily. Sometimes tap water can taste funky, and may not always be the cleanest, so a filter system will give you water to drink, and you won’t be wasting money and hurting the planet by buying case upon case of bottled water! This Brita water bottle has the filter built right into it, which is super convenient! All you need to do is fill with water from any tap, and as you drink, the water is filtered.

They’re super affordable, starting at just $10! Check them out here on Brita’s website.

6. Waffle iron

Not only are waffles amazingly tasty, but waffle irons are super versatile. A Google search will help you find hundreds of waffle iron hacks, from quesadillas to brownies! I got my waffle iron as a Christmas present and have used it almost religiously since. This is the one I have, on Amazon for only $65.

7. Slow cooker

A slow cooker is a lifesaver for meals after a long day of classes and makes eating healthy meals so much easier. The last thing you want to do after sitting in 6 hours of lectures is cooking a healthy meal, so instead of turning to UberEats again, a slow cooker eliminates the problem! It’s so simple – just dump your ingredients in, set it on low, and after a day of class or work, come home to dinner waiting for you to enjoy. Pinterest is a treasure-trove of recipes for slow cooking, so you’re sure to find tons of ideas you’ll love.

You can even get adorable ones like this daisy printed one from Amazon, and it’s only $20! 

8. Reusable grocery bags

Even though stores offer plastic bags, you can save a few cents, but more importantly help to save the Earth, by getting some reusable bags and bringing them along when you do your shopping. They make some super cute ones, so you can make a fashion statement while you shop, too! 

These ones fold up super small, so you can throw it in your purse or backpack. Plus, it’s a pack of 7 for only $20, so it’s definitely not going to break the bank!

9. Travel mug 

Perfect for getting your morning coffee even when you’re in a rush. This is another item that has endless options – Kate Spade has ADORABLE ones, or you can find ones that boast keeping drinks hot for upwards of 12 hours. 

This one is perfect for the clumsier among us. It won’t tip when it’s bumped, meaning that you won’t be that girl who’s spilling their coffee all over the floor at 8:30 am, or on your laptop during a late-night work session in the library. Plus, at only $20, it’s affordable, and it’s even cute! 

Lacey Jantzi

Wilfrid Laurier

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.