8 Ways to Truly Love Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

1.  Figure out what makes you happy. 

This may mean that you need to sit down with a yellow legal pad and weigh the pros and cons of the current big decisions in your life, but it will allow you to narrow in on what will be better for you in the long run. 

2.  Stop saying that you are going to start something tomorrow.  

Tomorrow will always come, but there will always be another tomorrow.  Live in the now.  If you want something, make it happen.  

3. Do not neglect your physical health.

We are all busy, busier than we can even fathom, but you cannot do your best work if you are not in your best shape. Eat your veggies. Drink lots of water. Stay active. Not only will you have a higher quality sleep, but it will increase your productivity when you are awake!

4.  Or your mental health.

Being healthy is not just about veggies and cardio. You need to make sure that you give yourself some time to meditate, evaluate and take care of your mental health.  Be aware of the things that are stressing you out, hurting you or contributing to anxiety in your life, and work to minimize those difficulties. Building a strong support system to help you deal with stress is important. 

5. Surround yourself with people who want the same things you do

Strong people build strong people.  Surround yourself with people who will help you better yourself, your career, your academics and your happiness.  They will promote success from you, and you will do the same for them. 

6.  Don’t overthink the small stuff.

Shit happens. Do not let things that are out of your control affect your long-term goals or your relationships.  Let the little stuff go and focus on the long game.  

7.  Spend more time outside. 

Fresh air and the outdoors will better your life in so many ways.  Enjoy the sunshine, snow, and water that make this world so beautiful.

8. Forgive yourself. 

Everyone makes mistakes.  Be the best version of yourself, but allow yourself to mess up every once and a while, and then learn from it.  What doesn’t kill us only makes us stronger.  

Good luck this semester, you smart cookies. 

Danielle Bazely

Wilfrid Laurier

Fourth year Commuications major focusing in Business and Management, with an Economics minor at Wilfrid Laurier University.  Red wine lover and foodie (or excessive eater).  Type A personality with a perfectionist complex and a grammar addiction.  Can either be found in her red Jeep or at the on campus Starbucks.   
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.