7 TED Talks by Women That Will Make You a Stronger Leader and a Stronger Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Why do ambitious women have flat heads? By Dame Stephanie Shirley

84 years old and Jewish, she made it out of Germany and escaped to Britain as a very young girl and wanted to make her life “worth saving”.  Having overcome more gender inequalities than we can ever imagine, Dame Stephanie Shirley is a pioneer of female entrepreneurship and leadership.  She is an icon in the business world, as well as in feminism, and we have a lot to thank her for.

Why we have too few women leaders by Sheryl Sandberg

Facebook COO, Sheryl Sandberg is one of few women who have found success in executive corporate management.  Despite monumental changes, it still is a man’s world, and Sheryl Sandberg discusses how you can be a woman who defeats that reality.

How to stop screwing yourself over by Mel Robbins

A lawyer, author, and CNN host, Mel Robbins tells you about how you can get what you want and stop being your own biggest enemy.

Why 30 is not the new 20 by Meg Jay

A Clinical Psychologist will tell you that 20-somethings are pushing their responsibilities into their thirties and believing that it is okay, when it is not. Claim your twenties, whether in love, work or family, and it will change your life and determine your future.  Stop settling ladies, you deserve the best from the rest of the world, and especially yourself. 

My year of saying yes to everything by Shonda Rhimes

We all know the television titan behind the Shondaland empire, Shonda Rhimes.  She has made monumental changes in visual culture for women, showing women as leaders on the screen and off.  She talks about balancing work, family, and life, and how saying “yes” changed everything.   

Your body language shapes who you are by Amy Cuddy

Social psychologist Amy Cuddy discusses the attention that our culture in business, and life in general, focuses on body language, and how it is changing how people see you and how you present yourself.  Tall posture and a strong handshake will go a long way. One of my all-time favourite quotes comes from this talk, “If you feel like you shouldn’t be somewhere: Fake it. Do it not until you make it – but until you become it.”

Embrace the near win by Sarah Lewis

A Harvard professor, with a bachelor from Harvard, masters from Oxford and Ph.D. from Yale, Sarah Lewis has accomplished great things academically and has become an African American woman that is respected by all and honoured by many.  She talks about valuing the moments that don’t reach success but rather teach us how to do it.

Danielle Bazely

Wilfrid Laurier

Fourth year Commuications major focusing in Business and Management, with an Economics minor at Wilfrid Laurier University.  Red wine lover and foodie (or excessive eater).  Type A personality with a perfectionist complex and a grammar addiction.  Can either be found in her red Jeep or at the on campus Starbucks.   
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.