30 Midterm Season Thoughts as Told By “Friends” GIFS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It doesn’t matter who you are, how old you are, or how smart you are, midterm season is stressful for everyone. Not only are you studying for evaluations worth a significant amount of your grade, but you’re also balancing all of your lectures, tutorials, labs and more! On top of that, we’re also expected to get enough sleep, do extracurricular activities, eat healthy, workout, and have a social life? Yeah, right! While everyone’s midterms and schedules may be a bit different, here are some thoughts that go through everyone’s mind during midterm season, portrayed by our faves, the cast of Friends! 

When you promised that you’d start studying earlier than the night before this time…

But then your friend tells you they haven’t started studying either

When your prof tells you to “just know everything” 

Then you get a text from someone who doesn’t do any work and they ask you to help them/send your notes

When you’re so sleep deprived that you take any opportunity for a quick nap

And you have that dream where you fail and have no future

When you’re trying to study and people around you are being loud 

When you need to decide whether to go out or study

And you finally decide to stay in and hear about how much fun your friends are having

Or the other time when you went out and instantly regretted it.

When you don’t have time to do groceries so you cherish every last item in the fridge

That breaking point when you resort to trying to figure out how many questions you need to get right to pass

When your friend is more prepared than you

That moment when you see a word on the midterm that you’ve never seen before

The feeling when you do better than expected

Even though sometimes you think you killed it but really didn’t 

When it’s the night before and you contemplate faking sick because you’ll fail otherwise

Or consider just dropping out altogether

When you see your friend after the midterm and argue about the right answer and then when you get it right

When the answer you got isn’t one of the multiple-choice options

When you don’t know the answer to a written answer question and need to come up with something

When you see the TA that’s marking the midterm right before it starts 

When it doesn’t even matter if you do poorly because you’re almost done

Walking out of your last midterm like

When you start getting closer to home (and your bed)

When someone tries to make you do something productive after your midterm

That moment when you see the notorious red dot on MLS and need to mentally prepare before clicking it

And finally, my favourite: When you complain that you had no time and someone asks why you didn’t study over reading week 

Happy studying Golden Hawks! You got this! 

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.