20 Relationship Red Lights: All the Signs to Look For When Starting a New Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

When starting a new relationship, it can be easy to overlook someone’s shi*** qualities and focus on the few good ones. But here’s the thing, those red lights you just casually ran through, they’ll bite you in the a** later on in the relationship. So with that being said, here are the top 20 red light warning signs to look for when starting a new relationship!

1. They are disrespectful to servers.

A person who is rude to people helping them is not a person you should want to be around. How someone treats people they don’t know shows a lot about their true character.

2. They are pushy – even when they know your boundaries.

No means no, and if someone can’t accept that then they are not worth your time.

3. They have horrible money habits.

In university, balancing money is hard, but the reality is that if you want a future with this person you may eventually end up sharing financial responsibility.

4. They only talk about sex, or they won’t talk about sex.

Sex is important to talk about, but it shouldn’t be what your relationship revolves around.

5. They don’t care about your interests.

Someone who loves and respects you will at least pretend to care about what you’re into. For example, you may hate basketball, and your partner may love it – be thoughtful and watch the game with them once in a while even if it drives you crazy.

6. They describe ALL their exes as crazy.

Honey, if every single person they have ever dated is considered ‘crazy,’ they probably caused it.

7. They have no work ethics.

Whether they are working or in school, work ethics are important. You don’t want someone who has no goals for themselves and who won’t help you achieve yours.

8. They are rude to their parents.

How someone treats their parents is everything, so if they lie or are disrespectful to them, it is how they’ll treat you.

9. They’re secretive about EVERYTHING.

Secrets are terrible when it comes to dating; be truthful and don’t lie.

10. They belittle you.

Anyone who makes you feel lesser in any way is not worth your time.

11. They make fun of you during sex.

Not cool.

12. They refuse to acknowledge your relationship.

Sorry, but why date someone who won’t acknowledge your existence?!

13. They are incapable of compromise or apologizing.

An adult relationship involves taking the blame and apologizing. If your partner can’t do that, they aren’t ready for an adult commitment.

14. They have bad habits.

Are they doing drugs? Drinking too much? If it’s not something you’re cool with, this could be a major red flag.

15. Your family and friends don’t approve.

Usually your family and friends see the person from a different view, if they don’t get to see any of the good parts that you believe they have…you probably aren’t looking hard enough.

16. They still hang with their ex.

Sure, exes can be friends, but when it’s cutting into your time, that’s a no-no.

17. They are judgemental.

Whether it’s them being sexist, homophobic or just judgemental… it’s not cool!!

18. They are addicted to their phone.

Technology is great, but when they pay more attention to their phone than your face? #UNFRIEND

19. There is a lack of trust.

Whether they spill your secrets, lie, or refuse to be exclusive, if there is a lack of trust it will never work out.

20. They freak out over EVERYTHING.

Simple. You shouldn’t be with anyone that freaks out at you 24/7 – it’s rude, but also super unhealthy in a relationship.

So now you know, Colliegettes; but remember, one red flag may be your red light, or you may be able to look past it. Give the relationship a chance to get comfortable, but don’t ignore the signs. Trust your gut, live and learn!

AJ H

Wilfrid Laurier '19

stay smiling
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.