16 Things to Look Forward to in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Each new year brings forth an exciting array of movies, tv shows, beauty products and everything in-between that basically appeals to my every need and desire. So here’s a list of what I’m looking forward to in 2017!

1. A Series of Unfortunate Events

(January 13, Netflix)

I’m so hyped for this awesome looking adaptation; I only have high hopes for it. As a huge fan of the book series, the trailers for the show already look so much better than the disgrace that was the movie. The fact that it’s premiering on Netflix is just an added bonus.

2. Wonder Woman

(June 2)

This movie is long overdue tbh so they better get it right (it does look pretty badass though, I gotta say).        

3. New album, Charli XCX

(Spring, TBD)

There’s no defined release date for her latest album but it’s on its way and that’s all I care about.

4. Mass Effect: Andromeda

(March 21, Microsoft Windows, Playstation 4, Xbox One)

I’m a huge fan of video games (whether or not I’m actually good at them is another thing entirely) and this long awaited fan favourite has a lot of pressure resting on it to live up to its already very high expectations. I’ll stay optimistic and say that I’m excited to see how it measures up.

5. Difficult Women by Roxane Gay

(January 3)

After reading Roxane Gay’s Bad Feminist, I have no doubt that she’ll deliver with her latest book release. She’s hilarious, witty, and an excellent writer to boot, so I have no doubt I’ll enjoy Difficult Women.

6. Girls, Final Season

(February 12, HBO)  

This show ignited my love for Adam Driver and had the incredible ability of making me inexplicably angry at each character at some point or another. I’m both sad and very, very excited to watch the last season of this quirky, off the wall show.

7. Urban Decay New Releases

(January)

Already available for purchase, Urban Decay recently released 10 new skincare products that I’m already desperate to try out and waste all of my money on.

8. The Mindy Project

(February 14, Hulu)

My fave girl is back at it on (the very fitting) February 14, and I can’t wait for the return of a show that I hold near and dear to my pop culture loving heart.

9. King’s Cage by Victoria Aveyard

(February 7)

This is the third installment to the series Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard, and I can safely say her books are definitely worthwhile reads. I’m excited to see how this book continues the story.

10. New Kat Von D beauty releases

As hinted on Kat Von D’s official Instagram, “Saint + Sinner fragrances, Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks AND Lip Liners, and our new Shade+Light GLIMMER palette.” Basically, I’ll be wanting it all since she already has my soul.

11. Stranger Things Season 2

(Presumably summer 2017, Netflix)

There’s no official release date yet, but I’m so unbelievably giddy to binge-watch the entire second season in one sitting like the savage that I am.

12. New album, Lorde

(2017, TBD)

It’s been far too long since the release of Pure Heroine, and after Lorde heavily hinted her new album that’s in the works in light of her twentieth birthday, I’m not so patiently awaiting it.

13. Spider-man Homecoming

(July 7)

Look, the other Spider-man movies were fine. I liked them. However, this is the first Spider-man portrayal that actually feels like Peter Parker. I have really high hopes for it.

14. Prey

(2017, Microsoft Windows, Playstation 4, Xbox One)

I unabashedly love basically all Bethesda games and the trailer for this one gave me goosebumps. I’m pumped to play it, even though there is yet to be an official release date.

15. Beauty and the Beast

(March 17)

Without a doubt, what I’m most excited for on this list is Beauty and the Beast. The casting seems absolutely perfect, it looks exactly like I imagined it, Emma Watson is a vision and was seemingly born to play Belle, and I’ll be listening to the small song teasers on repeat until March 17th.

16. Mcdonald’s all day breakfast

(Happening now, in select locations)

Even though I’m annoyed that the recent Mcdonald’s all day breakfast craze is only hitting select locations in Canada, I’m very hopeful that it will expand to more areas. This is seriously exciting business. Here’s hoping that all the things on this list, along with many other anticipated releases, are as great and wonderful as they all look and sound!

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.