13 Reasons Why You Should Watch 13 Reasons Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

To those who have not watched the series yet, what are you waiting for? I’m sadly one of the individuals who didn’t read the book before the series came out *sigh*. After watching the series, it has made me want to read the book and tell you all why you should watch the new Netflix series.  Here are my reasons why you should watch 13 Reasons Why.

1. The Love Story

I mean, who doesn’t enjoy a good love story? Nothing better than romance to drag you into watching this.

2. Topics

The show focuses on topics such as bullying, social pressure, suicide, and mental health. These are relatable to every young adult and teenager in the world, but they are topics that are in need of further awareness. Netflix does provide a trigger warning at the beginning of overly sensitive episodes.

3. The Characters are Real

The characters are so raw that it can be hard not to relate to them. None of the characters are perfect and they are so real because they are all flawed.

4. Past versus Present

The show does an excellent job of utilizing flashbacks without making it too confusing for the viewers.

5. The Emotion

The emotion that the characters portray is so strong, you feel as if you are truly experiencing their pain.

6. The Music

Well, I mean…with Selena Gomez being a part of the production team, how could it not have a great soundtrack? She helped choose which tracks would be best suited for the program, and  she even has two singles on the soundtrack. The music itself reflects the emotions in the show’s scenes.

7. The Story is Real

The storylines in the show are real. These types of things happen to people in daily life.  

8. Not Another ‘Stupid’ Teen Show

Anyone at any age can watch this. Anyone can relate to this show and enjoy it at the same time.

9. Everyone Has Their Own Story

Each person has their own story. These stories can be relateable for viewers as some things have happened to them.

10. It Keeps You On Edge

Every episode will leave you speechless. Once you’ve watched one episode you won’t be able to stop. I definitely recommend not binge watching the whole series, as triggering moments can make it hard for certain people.

11. You’ll Relate

As mentioned before, you will relate. Whether directly or indirectly, you can relate to these characters and the story.  

12. You’ll Learn

You’ll learn the signs. You’ll learn how to cope. You’ll learn how to deal with these types of situations.

13. Overall, Just A Great Show

Personally, this is one of the best shows to come out of so far this year. Even if I haven’t read the book, overall it delivers great storylines and character development.

So there you go, those are my thirteen reasons why you need to watch 13 Reasons Why. I hope I didn’t spill any spoilers for any of you who havent watch it. If you haven’t seen the trailer to the new Netflix Original, click here.

Jaden Lundy

Wilfrid Laurier

I'm a girl who loves her food and also loves her dogs a.k.a my two favourites things in the entire world. 
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.