12 Country Artists to Add to Your Summer Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The school year is almost over, and that obviously means summer is coming. That means hot weather, beach days, driving with the windows down, and sun kissed skin. I can’t help but picture all of this happening while listening to my favourite country songs. I mean, they all say it:

“Windows down, country sound, FM on the radio” – Thomas Rhett

“It’s gonna be a long hot summer, we should be together with your feet up on the dashboard now. Singing along with the radio it’s such a beautiful sound” – Keith Urban

“Perfect song on the radio, sing along ‘cause it’s one we know. It’s a smile, it’s a kiss. It’s a sip of wine, its summertime.”- Kenny Chesney

Country music is more popular than ever, and there are so many great new artists making their way to country radio. As we all gear up for what our summer entails, I’ve compiled a list of some new and some classic country artists to check out and add to your playlist for those sweet summer nights.

1. Charlie Worsham

If you’re looking for modern country with a touch of twang, Charlie Worsham is your go-to. My favourites from his first album Rubberband (2013) include Could It Be, Want Me Too and Trouble Is. With his new song, Cut Your Groove, released recently, and his newest album, Beginning of Things, released, Charlie Worsham is a great addition to your summer playlist for sitting by the fire or spending the day on the lake.

2. Dustin Lynch

Cute, cheeky, and catchy, Dustin Lynch floods your speakers with tunes you can’t get out of your head. Songs like Where It’s At (Yep Yep), Hell of a Night, and Mind Reader have been soundtracks to my last few summers. His newest song, Small Town Boy, has already been added to my summer playlist. Songs like his are a go-to for your summer road trips.

3. Kelsea Ballerini

This relatively new artist has provided our summers past with songs like Love Me Like You Mean It and my personal favourite, Dibs. Her track Peter Pan highlighted our love-hate relationship with relationships (at least for me anyways), and her latest single, Yeah Boy, is cute, flirty, and super catchy! Kelsea Ballerini is the perfect addition to your summer playlist for romantic summer nights, and fun days in the sun!

4. Dallas Smith

Before sharing his voice with the country world, Dallas Smith was front man for the rock band, Default. He brings a touch of alternative to the country scene that many have found refreshing. If I had to narrow down my favourites, they would include Jumped Right In, Nothing But Summer, Wrong About That, and his latest, Side Effects. While I’m hoping Sky Stays This Blue is his next single from the Side Effects album, Dallas Smith is perfect for any and every summer endeavor.

5.  The Swon Brothers

The Swon Brothers duo made their mark on the Voice, coming in third place (I didn’t even know this until I just googled them). The first song I heard by them was Later On and that was a few years ago. Last summer, I came across their song Timeless and was hooked. Their current single is Don’t Call Me, and it’s been stuck in my head all week. The Swon Brothers are a fresh take on country, and your summer pre’s would be nothing without them.

6. Russell Dickerson

I had the pleasure of seeing Russell Dickerson open for Billy Currington last summer and I was blown away by the fun-loving energy. While the first song I heard and loved was Yours, the upbeat pop-country vibes of Blue Tacoma, Green Light, That’s My Girl, and Every Little Thing are perfect for days you want to get in your car, roll the windows down, and drive wherever the road takes you.

7. Kenny Chesney

You can never go wrong with Kenny and his “no shoes nation.” Kenny lives in a state of summer vacation and songs like Summertime, Young, I Go Back, American Kids, When the Sun Goes Down, and Beer in Mexico remind us of all the things we can do in this warm weather. His latest, Bar at the End of the World, is a perfect addition to your summer playlist, and Kenny will make you feel like you’re on an island.

8. Brad Paisley

Brad Paisley is crazy talented, relatable, and one of my summer time go-to’s. My all-time favourites include We Danced, She’s Everything, I’m Gonna Miss Her, Waitin’ on a Woman, and Perfect Storm. Perfect for your summer playlist are Beat This Summer, River Bank, Southern Comfort Zone, and his latest, Today. Who doesn’t love a man in a cowboy hat? Get your Brad Paisley fix while barbequing with friends or laying on the dock, soaking up some rays.

9. Maren Morris

Last summer I couldn’t seem to get 80s Mercedes out of my head. It was perfect for cruising to my ball games with the windows down. Her song prior to that, My Church, was a force to be reckoned with. Her current single, I Could Use a Love Song, and my favourite, I Wish I Was, are slower, but perfect for time spent out on the deck watching the sun go down and enjoying the summer breeze. She is also featured on Thomas Rhett’s newest song, so she is the perfect addition to your summer playlist for various summer activities.

10. Thomas Rhett

Any and every country station is playing Thomas Rhett right now. His music is fun, flirty, and so sweet. From his more low key songs like It Goes Like This, Die a Happy Man, Beer with Jesus, to fun, upbeat tunes like Make Me Wanna, T-Shirt, Crash and Burn, Get Me Some of That, and his latest Craving You, your playlist would be missing something without a little Thomas Rhett.

11. Brothers Osborne

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of these guys is cool; they look cool and they sound cool. Their first popular single, Rum, caught the attention of country listeners and Stay a Little Longer was on the radio every time I got in the car; I could not get it out of my head. Following this was my personal favourite, 21 Summer, which was on my playlist three times last summer. Their latest single It Ain’t My Fault is fun and catchy, and has already been added to my summer playlist. Brothers Osborne give us a cool vibe for summer road trippin’, catching rays by the pool, or in our ears while we slave away at our summer jobs.

12.  Jake Owen

Barefoot, blue jean wearing, beautiful voice. If Jake Owen isn’t the sound track to your summer, you’re doing it wrong. Hits like Barefoot Blue Jean Night, Beachin’, The One That Got Away, American Country Love Song, and Days of Gold have highlighted our summers past. His current hits, If He Ain’t Gonna Love You and Good Company, will highlight your midnight drives and long weekends.

Be sure to check out these awesome artists and others on my Summer ’17  playlist on YouTube (sorry, I don’t have Spotify). Have an awesome summer Collegiettes!

Jenna Weishar

Wilfrid Laurier

Fourth year, 20-something year old Psychology and Sociology Major at Wifrid Laurier University. Sorority Girl. Lover of Grey's Anatomy, the Bachelor/Bachelorette, and Sex and the City. Relies heavily on caffeine to get through the day, and wine at night. Follow me on Instagram: @jennaweishar and Twitter: @jennaweishar
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.