11 Ways to Keep Your Lady Parts in Tip-Top Shape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

If you have a vagina, then you likely know all of the trials and tribulations that can go along with it. It takes some upkeep, girl! Vaginal care ain’t no joke, and it’s important that you know how to keep things as healthy as possible down there. So curb any of that embarrassment or discomfort you may have, and get ready to make your hoo-ha happy with some of these tips.

1. Know your own body

First things first, it’s important that you’re actually in tune with your body. Know the basic parts and understand how things work. It’s shocking that there are adult women in this day in age who not only haven’t taken a look at their own genitals, but don’t know the basics of their anatomy. The “vagina” is usually a blanket term used to describe the whole shebang, but breaking it down you have: the labia majora (outer labia), labia minora (inner labia), clitoris (an all too forgotten friend), urethra (that’s where you pee out of, which some people actually don’t know), and boom, the actual vagina. Take a small mirror and get a look at the situation you’re dealing with, so you become familiar with what everything actually looks like. Remember, your vagina is your friend, not your foe.

2. Add kegels to your exercise regime

Kegels are a discreet exercise that you can do basically anytime, anywhere. They involve clenching and unclenching the muscles that are responsible for the contractions you feel during an orgasm. Basically, they’re hella good for your vaginal strength and can increase your (as well as your partner’s) pleasure during sex and when you climax. Since they require basically no effort, they’re an exercise you pretty much have no excuse not to do.

3. Find the birth control that’s right for you

Finding the proper form of birth control that works with your lifestyle can be challenging, but don’t just settle for something like birth control pills because you can’t be bothered to try something else if it’s not working for you. When in doubt, talk to your doctor to discuss your options. Intrauterine Devices (IUDs) are becoming increasingly popular methods of birth control, and they’re relatively stress-free once it’s inserted into your uterus (sounds pretty horrific, it really isn’t that bad). Those items you heard about once in health class don’t have to be taken off the table either: diaphragms, sponges, the NuvaRing and female condoms can all be viable options depending on your needs.  As well, make sure you’re discussing with your partner(s) what precautions they’re taking and ALWAYS be on top of STI protection.

4. Make sure you look after yourself before, during and after sex

Vaginas are resilient, adaptable pieces of lady equipment, but it never hurts to make sure that we’re doing our part to look after them, even for an act that they were designed for. I look at vaginas like cars. Before you have sex, it’s good to warm up the engine before you put it in drive. Foreplay stimulates your natural lubrication and gets blood flowing to all of the areas that make things pleasurable (i.e. the clitoris). Lube will be your best friend (dry friction really doesn’t work for anybody), and communication about what feels good for you is essential. Afterwards, make sure you do one thing: go pee. Peeing right after sex can help prevent urinary tract infections by preventing the spread of bacteria. UTIs are annoying, can be quite painful and require antibiotics to clear up, so it’s best to make the naked shuffle to the bathroom before falling asleep or forgetting about it.  

5. The proper underwear (or lack thereof) will keep your VJJ happy

The underwear you choose to wear surprisingly has an affect on your lady bits. Cotton is generally your best bet, since it’s a natural, breathable fabric that will keep you feeling fresh – as it keeps moisture at bay (unlike other materials such as nylon). Thongs, as sexy and practical as they can be depending on your outfit, aren’t the best for your downstairs business. Try to wear them sparingly, since they can spread fecal bacteria where it doesn’t belong, causing possible UTIs and other vaginal infections (which nobody wants to deal with). No panties? No problem. When in doubt – air it out. Since going commando can actually be good for you, there’s no risks associated with forgoing underwear, as long as you’re wearing clothes that won’t irritate your skin. Bedtime is usually a good time to do this, since loose fitting pyjamas give everything a chance to do their thing freely.

6. Repeat after me: You don’t need to wash your vagina

Douching, or washing the inside of your vagina, is something that you flat out should not be doing. Vaginas already have that part taken care of for you, since they’re basically like self-cleaning ovens. There’s natural (good) bacteria that keeps away all of the nasty, unwanted unpleasantness (like viruses) that would otherwise make their way inside. If you’re trying to clean up there under the guise that it “smells”, I hate to break it to you but vaginas aren’t meant to smell like a meadow full of fragrant flowers or citrus fruit. They smell like vaginas; there’s no changing that fact, so you (and anyone who says anything about it) might as well embrace it. When we’re talking about the outside of your vagina though, aka your vulva, from time to time it does need a little clean. Nothing fancy, definitely nothing with added scents or sulfates, and you don’t need to do it every single shower. Just use your hand or a non-abrasive washcloth to give everything a gentle wipe.

7. Your period doesn’t have to be total hell

There’s no getting around the fact that periods suck. They vary in their suckiness depending on the person, but I think most people can agree that they’re not enjoyable. However, there are some things you can do to ease any symptoms that go along with a visit from aunt flo. If you get menstrual cramps, invest in a hot water bottle or a heating pad and try having warm baths. Concentrated warmth around the area of your pain can actually work wonders. Drink lots of water (hydration is always key), eat dark chocolate (it’s packed with lots of good stuff to lessen your misery, and a better alternative to sate cravings), and rest when you need to. If you’re up for it and you have a partner whose willing, sex can actually alleviate cramps – just be prepared to deal with a little mess.

8. Find yourself a partner who treats your vagina with respect

Vaginas deserve respect, especially if someone is going to be doing the dirty with you. No matter who you are, or what your parts looks like, they’re beautiful and worthy of someone who makes you feel good. Vaginas and vulvas are like snowflakes, no two are completely alike. Get yo’self a man (or woman) who understands basic anatomy, asks what you want (consent is always sexy), and gives every bit of you the adoration it deserves. Sidenote: I keep bringing this up, but it’s an all too common theme: the clitoris gets ignored. With proper TLC (i.e. don’t treat it like an elevator button that you need to jam with your big sausage finger five times because you’re impatient), that seemingly insignificant little nub can be the gateway to a happy ending, so don’t forget that’s it there, all you guys, gals and non-binary pals.

9. Know the ins and outs of waxing before you get it done

Ah, waxing. The conflicting key to our various, desired aesthetics. If you’re looking to get a bikini or a brazilian wax, make sure you actually do some research before jumping right into it. Look up reviews for different waxing places in your area, and make sure that they have the proper certifications to be delivering the services you’re asking for (Bare Essentials in Uptown Waterloo is excellent). I’ll be frank, it will hurt (your genital hair is being ripped out by the root, after all).  The amount of pain you experience will vary, depending on the thickness of your pubic hair. Wear loose fitting pants when you go, take an ibuprofen an hour before your appointment to help with the pain, and make sure you talk to your esthetician. They will be happy to talk you through the process and make you feel as comfortable as possible. Make sure you have something soothing to put on the area afterwards like aloe vera (especially if you’re fair skinned). But above all else, make sure this is something you want to get done. If someone makes you feel bad about the hair that’s natural down there, they really aren’t worth your time.

10. Don’t ignore a yeast infection

Your vagina naturally produces a small amount of yeast cells, but when you have a yeast infection, it ends up producing too many. They’re incredibly unpleasant, and can generally be identified by extreme itchiness, vaginal soreness, and/or burning when you pee or have sex. You may also have vaginal discharge that has a thick, clumpy appearance. Thankfully, this annoying, yet common problem can be treated with non-prescription anti-fungal creams, suppositories, or tablets. To help prevent them, try not to wear anything too tight and keep moisture/warmth away from your vagina if possible (that means you shouldn’t lounge around in your damp exercise clothes after a workout or keep a bathing suit on for long periods of time after you’ve been swimming).

11. See your gynecologist

If you’re over 21, you should be seeing your gynecologist at least once a year for a pelvic exam and a Pap smear. It’s intimidating to go to an appointment that can make you feel awkward and exposed, but it helps to remember that your doctor has literally seen hundreds of vaginas before, so yours is just part of a typical day for them. During a pelvic exam, your gynecologist will check your uterus, cervix, ovaries, etc., for any signs of illness or abnormalities. A Pap smear can seem unnecessarily daunting, but it’s a relatively quick procedure with minimal discomfort. They take a small cell sample to screen for cervical cancer, and it’s basically just a relief to get it over with. If you experience any problems, or need some vaginal/sexual health advice, go to your gynecologist or visit the Student Wellness Centre on campus.

And there you have it! It’s important to keep yourself educated (check out YouTube for awesome channels that focus on all things vagina and sexual health related), strive to be healthy, and treat your lady parts with the love and respect they deserve!

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.