11 Things Every 20-Something-Year-Old Should Learn How To Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

As hard as it might be to admit to yourself as a 20-something-year-old that you’re an adult, this life transition is pretty much unavoidable. Maybe it’s time to figure out how to do some adult-things, trust me, they’ll come in handy sooner or later.

1. Perfect Your Resume

Resumes can be a little tricky to figure out, but thankfully there are plenty of resources available to help you out. Most universities have career related services that offer workshops or will proofread your resume to make sure it’s the best. So, take a look at yours, make some changes, and while you’re at it, print some off; you never know when you may need it.

2. Polish Your Cover Letters

While we’re on the topic, make yourself a cover letter template. Cover letters are usually much more job-specific than resumes, but having a rough template is very helpful!

3. Learn How to Cook Breakfast

Notice the word “cook”? No, I don’t mean cereal. Figure out how to whip up some homemade oatmeal, pancakes, omelettes, breakfast sandwiches, something! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and your daily sugar-filled cereal isn’t cutting it anymore.

4. Figure Out How to Cook at Least One Lunch & Dinner Recipe

Not only should you be able to cook for yourself, but this can also be super impressive if you have friends over, a surprise visit from your family, or even a date.  Master a few delicious dishes that you can easily pull together and make a meal out of.

5. Learn How to *Properly* Boost a Car Battery

Whether you have a car of your own or not, dead batteries happen to everyone and almost always happen at the worst of times. Boosting a battery really isn’t too difficult, and can end up saving you a good wad of cash and time.

6. Speaking of Cars, Learn How to Change a Tire

First of all, did you know that all vehicles have a spare tire somewhere? I did, but it’s surprising how many people don’t actually know this. Once again, as long as you have the right tools, this isn’t that hard to do. Figure it out, it WILL be handy some day.

7. Understand the Basics of Banking and Finances

You. Are. An. Adult. Go to your bank, talk to an advisor, learn about credit, talk about loans, discuss interest, ask questions. I’m not saying you have to be some expert in stocks and bonds, but if you have a credit card, you should really understand how it works, and the consequences.

8. Set Goals

You don’t have to know where you see yourself in 5 years, but have some ideas of what you want to do today, this week, this month and/or this year. This might be something as small as getting an 80 on your next midterm, or something as big as getting a new job.

9. Start Saving

Whether you’re saving for something as big as grad school, a car, a big trip, or something as small as a new jacket, figure out a method of saving that works for you. Maybe it’s a savings account, maybe you have a piggy bank, or maybe every time you get a $5 bill you set it aside for later…whatever works!

10. Admit You Were Wrong

Nobody likes to be wrong, but what’s worse than being wrong is admitting you are wrong.  Figure out how to admit when you messed up and move on. It’s part of growing up.

11. Say Yes (or No)

Stand up for what you want and what you don’t want. Seems easy enough, right?

Whether you’re hiding from adulthood, or embracing it, these 11 things might make your life a whole lot easier!

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.