tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Her Campus Western Has Done For Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I was the girl in high school who was friends with all the upper years. I went to all their graduations and cheered as their names were called. We went on breakfast dates early in the morning or coffee dates late at night because they had classes at strange times and I had school. I watched them from afar as they entered into the world of Her Campus. I watched them getting published, I watched them writing, I watched them succeeding. I watched with envy and pride.

I wanted to write for HC, but the idea in first year was daunting: in high school I was considered a talented writer, what if suddenly I wasn’t? What if the girls on my team didn’t like me? What if, what if, what if… and so I didn’t search too hard for an application.

During the summer after first year I knew that my fears were—probably—irrational. So, I applied, and was accepted! At our first meeting I met the first of many new friends. We profiled one another, and met in the Spoke to hash out our articles, and we’ve been friends ever since. There is usually a Her Campus Western member in each of my classes, and these women have become my greatest allies and friends. I can trust them with my work and can expect honest and helpful criticism—something that is immensely important to me as a writer.

Through HCW I have gained an immeasurable amount of confidence in my work, and in myself. Suddenly I was writing articles and people were telling me they liked them. One of my first articles published was Why I’m Still a Virgin; Her Campus National shared it and people commented on the Facebook post saying how much they liked and/or related to the article. One girl said the post had made her cry—it amazed me that my words were able to bring out that kind of emotion in someone, that I was able to create that effect.  

Knowing that there are people out there that like and enjoy my words has given me the confidence to branch out in other areas of my writing and life. I’ve recently ventured out into spoken word poetry. I’ve performed three times—with an immeasurable amount of nerves—but still, I did it. I wouldn’t have been able to get up on stage if it hadn’t been for the support of my HCW friends and the public responses to my articles.

Being a part of this team means the absolute world to me. Yes, it will look good on my resume after I graduate, but it is so much more than that. I have a platform to say what I want and need to say, and I have formed connections that will help me in the future. I am insanely excited to see what adventures, opportunities and friends HCW will bring me this year.