This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Halloween (arguably the best holiday) is right around the corner, which means colder temperatures in the morning. If you’re like me, you tend to switch from cold cereals to hot breakfast foods in the winter. I’m not one to normally enjoy pancakes as they tend to be boring, undercooked and I always end up with too many… Until now. Here’s how I made my boring President’s Choice (PC) pancakes into festive and somewhat nutritious jack-o-lantern pancakes!

Step 1: Assemble your ingredients and cooking tools

Cooking tools:

• Pyrex measuring cup because it’s the perfect size for one to two people, it’s easy cleanup, and it’s got a spout perfect for pouring.

• Two measuring spoons (½ cup & ⅓ cup)

• A whisk

• A spatula

• A pancake flipper

• A small bowl

• A pan

Ingredients:

• PC’s fluffy pancake mix (linked above)

• Vegetable oil

• Water

Note: To make them festive I added food colouring and raisins (you can sub for chocolate chips).

These are super easy ingredients to find that are cheap (yay student budgeting) and don’t go bad after two days.

Step 2: Make your pancake batter

Preheat your pan to a medium-high heat on the stove. Since I was making pancakes for one, I halved the smallest recipe, using ⅓ cup dry mix and ½ cup water, and this gave me two medium size pancakes. After mixing the ingredients, I added about a tablespoon of extra water since I like my pancakes a little thinner. Then I added five drops of red and ten of yellow to get this orange.

Now just put your raisins into a small bowl for easy access while cooking. After this, you’re now ready to cook!

Step 3: Cook and decorate your pancakes!

Pour about ¼ to ⅓ cup of batter into your pan for a small/medium pancake. I found the smaller, rounder pancakes look more like pumpkins. Once they start to become darker around the edges, add your raisins in! To make them even more detailed, add a small drop of green food colouring at the top to look like this:

Tip: Cook a little longer on the side without the design to make the pancake fully cooks through. I flipped about a minute after I normally would (they were a little crispier, but not burnt) and cooked the pumpkin side for about 1 minute and they turned out perfect!

Final Product:

If you try this out, post a picture in the comments below. And if you have any questions feel free to post those too!

Happy cooking and halloweening!