Tiffany Haddish is an Outfit Repeater—Who Cares?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Unless you’ve truly been living under a rock, you probably know that the 90th Academy Awards took place on Sunday March 4th. I typically don’t watch the Oscars in its entirety because I lose interest after the first hour or two, but I always like to read the throngs of articles published the next day about the faux pas and funny moments I slept through. On Monday, while weeding through the Facebook posts, Buzzfeed articles, and Entertainment Tonight stories, one particular story stood out to me: “Tiffany Haddish Re-Wore Her Girls Trip Dress to the Oscars” (Vanity Fair),  “She Did It: Tiffany Haddish Rewore That SNL Look” (Refinery29), “Oscars: Tiffany Haddish Steals Spotlight in Recycled Dress…” (Deadline).

If you weren’t bombarded with this story, here’s the summary: Comedian Tiffany Haddish attended the 90th Academy Awards, wearing the same dress she wore when hosting Saturday Night Live on November 11th, which is also the dress she wore to the premiere of her movie Girls Trip in July. Oh my goodness, the audacity of her! Wearing the same dress to three events in the span of nine months? The horror!

Update: This is not newsworthy. Haddish, who is still fairly new to the Hollywood scene, bought the Alexander McQueen dress herself—for $4000—so why shouldn’t she wear it more than once? When did we create this rule that celebrities are not allowed to repeat an outfit? Especially over the span of nearly a year? If I paid four grand for a dress that I looked fantastic in (and Haddish rocks that gown), I would wear it to the grocery store, to the movies, to the gym, and to every televised event I would ever hypothetically attend.

Images taken from Refinery29 (on the left: Oscars, on the right: SNL)

Tiffany Haddish wearing a dress more than once is not exciting. Kirsten Dunst wearing a dress in 2017 that she wore in 2004 is not newsworthy (except for the fact that she hasn’t cleaned out her closet in 13 years). Kate Middleton wearing an outfit a second, third, or fourth time does not affect me. I understand that news outlets like E! News and Elite Daily are not shaming Haddish for this—they’re praising her for being so unique and confident that she doesn’t need to wear an original to the Oscars—but isn’t there something else to report? Let’s talk about Frances McDormand’s pushing for inclusion riders! Let’s talk about what Guillermo Del Toro’s Oscar wins mean for Latinos in Hollywood! Let’s talk about anything that doesn’t have to do with what women wore to the Oscars, please.