Sustain Natural Spreads Light on Women’s Sexual Wellness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Sustain Natural, a company created by a father-daughter duo, is the first ever brand to provide consumers with natural vagina-related products.

Picture taken from article on Gilt’s website

Meika and Jeffrey Hollender promote not only environmental benefits, but also the global population through the introduction of their sustainable condom. In addition to its natural condom, the company offers a variety of other products, including tampons, pads, lubricants and wipes.

“We’re over certified… We are a B Corporation, FDA approved, Fair Trade, Certified Organic and so much more. Furthermore, there are no harmful chemicals, dyes, fragrances or, most importantly, nitrosamine involved in the making of our products,” according to a statement from the Sustain Natural website.

The World Health Organization and the United Nations Population Fund recommend reduced use of nitrosamine in contraceptives as they are carcinogens.

According to research presented by Sustain on their website, “In September 2014, the Reproductive Health Technologies Project (RHTP) released independent test results of latex condoms sold in the United States. Only two major brands were free of detectable nitrosamines across their entire product line!”

In addition to the health benefits of the Sustain products, the company has also launched their pay-it-forward program, 10%4Women. Sustain donates 10% of its pretax profits to women who would otherwise not have access to proper sexual education, STD testing and breast examinations.

“We created 10%4Women to make the kind of change we want in terms of women’s health… only 21 percent of single, sexually active women use condoms regularly. In May 2016, we put together a campaign of ten young, influential women just talking about sex, and pledging to practice safe sex to show that this is a smart choice,” stated Jeffrey in an interview with B the Change, an online platform that covers stories of businesses as a force for good.

One of their other impact areas is the environment. Sustain Natural uses eco-friendly materials that third parties such as Forest Stewardship Council has certified. They use the rubber tree plantation located in southern India.  Additionally, the company sources Fair Trade latex for condoms and organic cotton for the tampons.

Visit Sustain’s website and check out their blog for more information on their products!

Let us know in the comments below about your thoughts on Sustain Natural!