you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

A Modern Look At Spiritual Wellness: An Interview With Katie Wilken

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Wellness: a hot topic in the world today. It’s a state that many strive to achieve and has a major impact on overall health and well-being. However, while some of the seven dimensions of wellness are well-known (like physical wellness and emotional wellness), spiritual wellness is often overlooked.

Western University’s 7 Dimensions of Health and Wellness:

To learn more about spiritual wellness, I interviewed certified life coach Katie Wilken. Katie is a proud wife and mama, entrepreneur, sexual abuse survivor, and wellness leader. She is an expert in women’s spiritual health and gave some valuable insight towards spiritual wellness.

HCW: What does spirituality mean to you?

Katie: “To me, it feels like having a deep connection with my intuition, my body, and with nature. [It’s] understanding what gifts we have within us at all times. The nurturing or cultivating of those gifts, to me, is my spiritual practice. Once this awareness has arrived and we are able to really be conscious of the outer influences that have nothing to do with our SPIRIT—that is the journey of spirituality.”

HCW: What are some examples of how you practice your own spirituality?

Katie: “My morning routine has been a very beautiful catalyst for being in connection with my deepest self.

“[I practice self care by] getting up before all my kids and sitting in stillness, using my essential oils, dance, and Kundalini Yoga. Being present in the moment as much as possible with my family is SUCH a gift!

“These are all pieces that help you co-create with the universe [i.e. manifestation] and identify your life’s mission and vision! I practice creativity, telling my truth and being of service to others allows my “tap” to be turned on.

“We are ALL here to live our dreams. Your daydreams and desires are all visions of what we are meant to be creating in our lifetimes. We get so caught up in daily life and listening to our ego, other people, and our pasts to get out of our own ways to let our dreams emerge. The universe is ALWAYS conspiring for your best life, even though it may not feel like it at times. It is always a choice to see the lesson and wisdom in every occurrence.”

HCW: Does being spiritual require a belief in “God”?

Katie: “No. It only requires faith: a belief in something or someone, or that you are always being guided to your highest good.

“The word “God” was heavy for me for a long time as a sexual abuse survivor. However, now I use that word often, and FEEL that word when I am teaching my boys about God/The Universe. It is always supporting us as we grow through life. They are young so just simple concepts—but it melts my heart to see them understanding and talking about it!”

HCW: What are some ways that students can practice spirituality?

Katie: “Allowing time to sit in stillness. Grab the APP Insight Timer and plug into that DAILY in the morning. MAKE TIME for your spirit to RISE within you. Get outside more. LISTEN to your Body—feed [it] well!”

HCW: Do you think spirituality has an impact on mental health?

Katie: “YES! I know there are so many variations in which people are affected by mental health. In my experience as a Survivor, Life Coach and Leader of a Wellness Team, when you have a DEEP belief in something—and nurture your being—you know that you are supported. That you CAN and WILL heal. That there is so much abundance and CONNECTION available to you. Through my journey with my own healing—I wouldn’t be here without KNOWING and commenting to these practices!”

Overall, spiritual wellness is an area that many students overlook, but is an important segment in the wellness wheel. Students can practice spiritual wellness by tuning into their inner selves or by practicing yoga, or just doing things that allow you to really connect with yourself. Spirituality also doesn’t require a belief in God, but rather a connection with something greater than yourself. And, above all, connecting with your spirituality can help improve your mental health, as it has with so many other fantastic people.

To find out more about Katie Wilken, visit her website at www.katiewilken.com.