Let’s Stop Pretending Women Don’t Watch Porn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

The secret is out, pornography is in, and our sex drives are just as high as men’s.

Being as it’s 2018, talking about sex, pornography and women’s needs in the bedroom should no longer be a faux pas. While men talk about their sexual experiences with boisterous pride, women are more likely to remain silent out of fear of being judged. Watching pornography is no different: a guy’s relationship with his hand may not be dinner party conversation, but no one looks at him differently when he makes a masturbation comment. Girls on the other hand, keep their intimate acts private, because female masturbation is not seen as socially acceptable. It was not men, however, who made ‘Porn For Women’ Pornhub’s top trending search in 2017. Which provokes the question: why is it normal for males to jerk their junk, but frowned upon for females to flick their bean?

In The Marie Claire Porn Project, a documentary released in 2015, 3000 female participants were questioned on their porn habits. This study not only exposed that one in three women watch porn weekly but also that two thirds of us watch it alone solely for our own pleasures. So why is the topic so taboo? Despite over half of the group admitting to taking tips from porn, the majority also agreed that they were uncomfortable with how the porn industry treats and portrays women, which would explain why “Porn for Women” was such a sought-after search trend in 2017. As feminist movements continue to rise in popularity, there’s no doubt that women everywhere are coming together to reveal the hardships they face. While sufficient pornography may not be the most important battle we’ve had to date, it will be another step in our persistent climb to equality.

Our struggle, however, is long from over. In addition to decoding the myth of women watching porn, it is our job to keep the conversation going. Hiding behind closed doors, checking both ways before walking in a sex shop and deleting our search history will only continue to give people reasons to doubt our sexual desires.

Ladies, start talking aloud about how to include more feminism in the bedroom, walk proudly down the aisle of lubricants at the drugstore, speak up against the degradation of women in the porn industry, and most importantly, stop allowing those around you to belittle your sexual needs.

The world is your field, go flick your bean freely.