The Kardashians: Celebrity Trash or Powerful Business Moguls?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

There isn’t a single Canadian who hasn’t heard the name “Kardashian.” This self-made family boasts many television shows, multiple websites, apps, cosmetics companies, clothing lines, a retail store, and more. However, despite their evident business success, critics like Nikki Swift are still writing about how the Kardashians are “Destroying America.” Are the Kardashians successful self-made millionaires, or do they represent everything wrong with America today?

To discuss the Kardashian’s success, we really have to first look at what success means. While each person may have different ideas of what success looks like, the underarching theme seems to be accomplishing a specific goal or meeting a specific purpose.

In a Ted Talk about the true meaning of success, Alain de Botton explains how each individual defines success differently.

“We are truly the authors of our own ambitions,” de Botton explains. As long as your ideas of success are your own, de Botton says, you are truly successful.

In an interview with Variety, Kim Kardashian revealed that she has always seen herself as a businesswoman.

“When I was younger, I worked in my dad’s office. When I was there, I discovered eBay and I loved shopping. I had to be on a budget,” she said. “How do I figure out how to make this a business? I remember I bought these Manolo Blahnik shoes that were $700. He let me buy five pairs. I had to pay him back plus interest. I sold every pair on eBay for $2,500.”

From her humble start with eBay, the Kardashian empire has grown in the way every businessperson dreams: fast, high, and with incredible marketing.

Marketing that is so good websites like Business Insider are writing articles on which of her marketing strategies other businesses should emulate. The Kardashians deliver exactly what their market wants again, and again, and again.

Their secret? Each sister has a unique audience that makes them relatable to the everyday American.

Erandi Palihakkara from Huffington Post explains how Khloe targets individuals by sharing her weight loss journey, while Kourtney focuses on young mothers.

Each Kardashian has discovered what their audience eats, wears, and does on a daily basis and delivers it through their social media marketing. So while those Instagrams might seem like overly photoshopped, empty posts, that is exactly the content that their consumers are begging for. And delivering that content is how the Kardashians have become such powerful, influential women.

Like it or not, the Kardashians have become a powerful family built on social media marketing. Their strategic branding decisions have allowed them to take over American television, cosmetics, and conversations.

Their undeniable ability to build themselves into powerful social influencers is only surpassed by their ability to maintain their standing. What other woman can say that their net worth is equal to Kim Kardashian’s, at $175 million dollars?

While you may say that you never want to be like the Kardashians, the fact is that we could all learn a thing or two from their powerful business strategies and personal marketing. Building a multi-million dollar empire is no easy feat, but the Kardashians’ flawless Instagram accounts make it look like even the least business-savvy individual can succeed.