How Bumble Bizz Makes Career Networking More Safe and Comfortable for Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Bumble recently released Bizz, a new mode that empowers women to make the first move and expand their professional network by connecting them with potential inventors, mentors and brands.

Photo provided by Google Play

The social application stands out with its female-first approach where women have to initiate the conversation, whether in search of a date, friendship or networking.

Whitney Wolfe, the co-founder of Tinder, founded this application after leaving and suing Tinder for sexual discrimination and harassment in 2014.

Bumble’s “unique model of putting women in charge and employing robust reporting has allowed the achievement of incomparably low reports of harassment and abuse,” as stated on their website.

The new feature, Bizz, allows users to build a digital resume that includes a headline, their experience, education and location. After completing their profiles, users are ready to swipe left or right on potential contacts nearby with the “women first” approach in place.

LinkedIn has a similar business-networking concept, however numerous reports of sexual harassment have been associated with LinkedIn as reported on Bloomberg. Notably, a Jane Doe filed a lawsuit against a banker, who sent her inappropriate sexual messages and graphic photos while trying to recruit her.

The new mode has received positive reviews and support from celebrities, including Kate Hudson, Karlie Kloss and Priyanka Chopra.

“Honestly I got Bumble Bizz a few days ago and I actually quite enjoy it. It’s akin to online dating but for networking. It’s quick and easy (very user friendly). I think it’s great because you get to interact with specific people whom are interested in you and your/the company you may work for,” said Melisa Miranda, CSR at Simpson Screen Print and Lithography.

Bizz is also currently hosting a grant competition that is giving away $50,000 in new business grants, a laptop, a 3-month WeWork pass, and a day of mentorship from the Bumble CEO/Executive team in Austin, Texas.

To enter the contest, users must form a team on the application and submit an entry form with their new business partner(s).

The contest ends on October 31. For more details on how to enter, visit their page.

Download the app here and let us know what you think in the comment section below!