Catt Sadler Leaves E! News Over Gender Pay Gap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Catt Sadler, host of E! News, quit the network on December 19 after learning her co-host Jason Kennedy earns close to double her salary.             Photo from US Magazine

Sadler began working at E! Entertainment television in 2006 as host of The Daily 10. She was named anchor of E! News in 2010 and also hosted Live from E! And E!’s Daily Pop.

The 43-year-old shared details explaining her departure on her personal blog, the Catt Walk.

“An executive from E brought something close to my attention — namely, that there was a massive disparity in pay between my similarly situated male co-host and myself,” Sadler wrote. “More recently, when E reached out to renew and extend my deal, I learned that he wasn’t just making a little more than I was. In fact, he was making close to double my salary for the past several years,” according to the blog.

Despite Sadler having more experience as the anchor and correspondent of E! News since 2010, Kennedy, 36, had only joined as an anchor in 2015.

Sadler tried to negotiate with the executives to give her a pay raise on par with Kennedy’s, but the network refused her request.

“Information is power,” said Sadler, “Or it should be. We are living in a new era. The gender pay gap is shrinking, although admittedly we have a long way to go. And well, I learned this first hand. My team and I asked for what I know I deserve and were denied repeatedly.”  

She also emphasized how she did not feel valued by the network for her dedication over the years, but still thinks highly of Kennedy.

“Know your worth. I have two decades experience in broadcasting and started at the network the very same year as my close friend and colleague that I adore. I so lovingly refer to him as my “tv husband” and I mean it,” wrote Sadler.

In a statement to PEOPLE, a spokesperson on behalf of Kennedy and the E! network addressed Sadler’s accusations.

“E! compensates employees fairly and appropriately based on their roles, regardless of gender. We appreciate Catt Sadler’s many contributions at E! News and wish her all the best following her decision to leave the network,” according to PEOPLE.

Sadler also received support from multiple celebrities including Jennifer Lawrence, Jessica Chastain and Olivia Munn.

She is unsure of her next move, but hopes to return to the entertainment industry someday.

“I will find more work. I will create content with meaning. I will continue to pursue my passions while making my children proud. The way I see it, I have an obligation to be an agent for change,” Sadler wrote in her closing statement.

What do you think about Sadler’s decision? Let us know in the comments below!