Body Positivity: Hiring a Personal Trainer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I had tried working out before, many times. I would go everyday, or every other, for a week or so and then something would happen—I would catch a cold, or have too much homework, or I’d just plain forget, and I’d never go back. I even got a free gym membership one summer; I only used it once. This story with the gym isn’t unusual, it’s the narrative of so many of us. Our lives are busy and working out always seems to get pushed to the bottom of the totem pole, overpowered by work, and school, and so many other things that seem to take over our lives without notice.

Intimidation was another huge factor that kept me from the gym. When I would go I would stick exclusively to the cardio machines, too nervous to touch any of the weights lest I use them wrong. I worried that the toned girls who walked the weight floor with confidence would secretly laugh to themselves as I struggled with miniscule weights by comparison. I was worried that my form would be all wrong and I would do my body more harm than good.

Photo: Maggie Gauthier

After some time, and many, many conversations with my dad and friends, I decided that these fears and excuses could no longer play a role in my life. So, I hired a personal trainer. I saved my money, dotted my i’s, crossed my t’s, and handed over my debit card.

I went from not working out at all to hitting the gym three times a week. The DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) were too real—I’m talking it hurt to move, sit and breathe. I relished in my achy muscles, feeling proud that I was getting to the gym, that I was working out, that I was finally working towards a healthier version of me. I’ve been working out regularly for about two months now, and while I don’t think I’ll ever be one of those people who feels awake and alert after a workout, I always feel proud. I walk away from every gym session like, “damn, I did that.”

Hiring a personal trainer has made all the difference in the world. Originally, I thought that hiring a trainer would just hold me financially accountable to hitting the gym, but it has been so much more than that. I feel more secure in my workouts knowing my trainer is there to correct my form and to push me beyond my limits—in the best way. I no longer have to worry about whether I’m lifting the right amounts, if I’m doing things wrong, or worry about set and rep. counts—my trainer takes care of all of that. (And she’ll answer all of my questions, because let’s face it, I won’t be able to afford a trainer forever). I’ve gained immeasurable amounts of confidence when it comes to hitting the gym and it all boils down to my trainer. It’s also great knowing that I won’t be there alone—the hour goes by quick when you have someone to talk to between sets!