diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Things I Wish I Could Tell My Younger Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

When I was 13 years old, I felt below average. I wasn’t by any means the prettiest girl in the school, or the most popular. I was unsure of who my friends were, what my future held, and if anyone truly liked me. In my later teens I had a habit of making fun of my younger self, calling her a loser, not really caring about her because she no longer existed. But then it hit me—I’m all that she has. When she felt so lonely and sad, there was nothing she wanted more than to be just like me. Now, I make sure that everything I do is something she would be proud of. I want her to be proud of me.

There are so many things that I wish I could tell her, to reassure her that everything will turn out just fine. Here are the top seven:

1. You will find genuine and supportive friends

My current friends are incredibly uplifting and supportive; I wouldn’t trade them for anything. However, my younger self always had trouble finding and keeping friends. She never felt like she had a support system. I wish to tell her that one day she will find people who have the same interests, the same sense of humour, and genuinely want to spend time with her. I want to tell her that her eighth-grade friends aren’t really meant to be her lifetime friends anyway. Part of me wants to tell her to go find my current friends so that she can have more time with them.

2.  Take school more seriously

I don’t care that she may think eighth to tenth grade won’t matter when it comes to her future; developing a proper work ethic early does matter. Slacking in the early years of high school translates into poor work ethic in the upper years, which makes university a slap in the face. Eighth to tenth grade might be “easy” to her, but I want her to try to develop a strong work ethic while the work is “easy” so that she is able to tackle the upcoming years with ease.

3. You are loved

Seriously, I want to tell her that she is loved by so many people. She may not see it or she may choose to ignore it, but many people admire her. I want to tell her that people want to see her succeed, to release her true potential. She needs to start noticing. 

4. Spend more time with family

In the past few years, a few of my older family members have passed away. I wish I could tell her to spend more time with my grandmother, whom I love, admire, and miss like crazy. I want to tell her to not take her time with our grandmother for granted. 

5. Make yourself your number one priority

I want to tell her to stop spending time on guys that break her heart, or friends that don’t truly appreciate her. Take the love she wishes these people would accept and use it on herself. It will be worth it. I want to tell her that she is stuck with herself for life, so don’t be afraid to care for yourself first. It’s not selfish.

6. Be curious, be loud, be a leader

She has so much potential and her shyness won’t get her anywhere in life. I am one of the loudest and most curious people I know and I love it. I am also one of the most passionate and charismatic people I know. I see myself as a leader. I want her to not fear leadership and to not be afraid to express her creativity openly and loudly. I want her to show her true colours. 

7. You will turn out just fine

I don’t care if it’s cocky, I am an incredible person. I am intelligent, friendly and involved. I wish I could tell her that she shouldn’t worry so much about the future. It’s not as scary as she might think it is. I wish she could see me now; I am sure she would be proud of me, and of herself and the progress she’s making.