5 Ways You Know You’re In First Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

As the first full week of classes winds down, and the excitement from O-Week slowly wears off, Western’s newest Mustangs settle into their school routines.  Even though you’re not wearing the same t-shirt as 5,000 other frosh doesn’t mean that you’re blending in with the rest of the students quite yet. Here are 5 ways to know that you’re a first year.

1.You wear your Western lanyard at all times

You arrived at Western and were presented with your student card, room key, and a nice Western lanyard to carry them on.  You were told to be very careful with them, otherwise it would be costly to replace them,so you put that lanyard around your neck…and haven’t taken it off since.  As someone who once lost her room key four times in one month; I know how stressful it can be trying to make sure you have everything when rushing for a class.Try to take a moment to check that you have your key when leaving your room, and by all means necessary, ensure that you still have that key when you come back.

2. You travel in packs with your floormates

You’ve met some people in your program on your floor, and discovered you have classes together. Now you’re clinging to them for dear life as you stumble around campus, trying not to get lost.  There’s nothing wrong with getting close with your floor, but branch out! Western has all sorts of students, so keep an open mind and introduce yourself to someone you don’t know.  And don’t worry — soon enough you’ll be so familiar with Western’s campus that it will feel like home.

3.You have already spent most of your meal plan money on Spoke bagels and Starbucks

Now that you’re no longer living at home, you have a lot more freedom in choosing what you eat.  Figuring out how to adjust to eating as a university student without gaining the dreaded “freshman 15” is a challenge almost every first year faces. The cafeteria food may be different than what you’re used to, or maybe you’ve just discovered how delicious food from the Spoke is; but it’s all too easy to blow all your money on unhealthy food in the first few months of the year. Skip the pumpkin spice latte, and hit the salad bar in residence  instead. Believe me, you (and your parents who pay for your meal plan!) will thank me later.

4. You signed up for 8:30am classes

Back in June, you signed up for 8:30 classes thinking that you would have no problem waking up for them, since you’d done it all through high school.  Now, you’re starting to realize that maybe this wasn’t the best idea. With no one to make you get up in the morning, it can be tempting to skip your early morning classes in favour of staying in bed.  Try your best to get to these classes, and skip some late night parties if you have to; the pain of waking up early won’t compare to the feeling of writing your first midterm unprepared.  

5. You’re really excited to be here

You’re starting to get used to being on campus, and everything that Western has to offer;however, you’re not quite as apathetic as the upper year students.  Every day, it seems like there is something new to discover: from volunteer opportunities and clubs to new friends and amazing professors, and you can’t help but show your excitement…and that’s okay! You’ve worked hard to get here, and the next four years are going to be some of your best yet. Get out there, get involved, and make them count.

Welcome to Western froshies. We’re glad you’re here.

Alex Hawkins

Western '21

Alex is doing a master's degree in library and information science. She graduated with a BA in psychology and criminology in 2019. She previously served as co-Campus Correspondent and President of Her Campus Western. Follow her on insta @alexhawkins65.
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.